Friday, October 9, 2026

Trees Turning

This will be very short. Eight years ago, I mentioned that one of the only poems I had ever written had a line about "the first tree to turn into September". I guess this illustrates the change in earth's climate, because it really is now, early October this year, that I am noticing substantial color changes. Of course the timing is different here than it was in Duluth. And there is something unique about the smell of autumn in New England and upstate New York. I am ready for it. And I guess I like the idea of "turning into" October. 

I am loving getting around more, mostly by bus, but it's also somewhat exhausting, with all the waiting for buses and transferring. I understand why people my age hold onto their cars as long as possible. But even if someone handed me a nice new car on a silver platter (think "The Price is Right"!), I don't think I would want it. The roads are so stressful around here, maybe everywhere, and it has been too long since I did extensive driving. At the moment it seems unlikely that I'll get back to it.

On this long weekend, where nothing we do can adequately honor indigenous peoples, may all of us perhaps just spend a few minutes with those bright red and orange trees. I'm going to try to listen to them, maybe touch, not just look and smell. Take care, all.