Saturday, September 5, 2026

Acquiring Things

There is no question about it: the most challenging thing right now will be acquiring things. Putting aside every other consideration in my life, the fact is that I have never been comfortable in acquisition mode. This is at least part of why I have not earned money easily, or wanted to own property, or enthusiastically taken part in the structures and institutions that most people take for granted. I truly am wired differently, immune to the siren call of ownership. In addition to that, I am going to want to seriously limit the amount of plastic that I have in my space. Having said that, the two items that I won't be able to put off very long are a small circular area rug for my main room, and a toaster oven. (I am calling it my main room, not "living room", just to free myself from needing it to look like a conventional living room. It may be more like an office or studio, actually. A space in which to write, and further move ahead spiritually.)

Yes, many strange aspects to all this, including the fact I'm convinced that in the not-too-distant future, I'll meet my soulmate! How beautiful it is to be offered space in which to do the final work on getting to know myself. And in order to do that, anything I "acquire" needs to be beautiful to me, on some level.

Maybe if I think of it as "acquiring beautiful things", that will filter out "stuff" -- and it is possible to find beautiful things that aren't expensive. So as my contemporaries pare down their belongings, I'm going just a few footsteps in the other direction. I guess it's OK, as long as I don't become too attached. Life is so paradoxical and wondrous sometimes, isn't it?