Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Wednesday Miscellany

This has been a magical few days. Early on Sunday morning, I saw, if not a whole meteor shower, then at least a few shooting stars. Just to have the excuse to lie on the ground and gaze upwards at the heavens was healing. Why don't I do it at least once a month? It puts everything, everything into perspective.

Then, Sunday into Monday, I made homemade chicken soup and an apple pie, the latter of which requires (on the Liz path) some strange ingredients -- plastic wrap and tape. You'll be happy to hear that these inedibles do not make it into the pie itself. There is something so grounding about all the chopping and mixing required to make from scratch. And fresh fall McIntosh apples make all the difference.

This food was to honor the visit of four dear friends who I see only rarely, and so hugs and meals and reuniting and catching up and playing board games was a joy. 

Then, this morning, after a crazy dry fall, torrential rain. I don't think the torrential part is a good thing but at least the reservoirs will be replenished.

Lastly, I finished quite an extraordinary book. Indeed, I suspect I was influenced by it last week when I wrote "The Real Me" and I may need to read it again to fully take it in. It is, If Women Rose Rooted: The Journey to Authenticity and Belonging by Sharon Blackie. In it, she weaves her own life path, and the wisdom of other contemporary women, with Celtic mythology, exploring women's relationship with the earth, the elements, and our own selves. She notes the powerful difference she has felt when she leaves the "Wasteland" and her feet are "in the right place," and for her, that has meant returning literally to a place with Celtic roots. What a gift to find women expressing truths that really resonates with me, even though the details are different. Right this second, I can't say that I feel rooted, but I do feel a bit grounded, thanks to the miscellany of this late autumn week.