Tuesday, October 3, 2017

What I was going to say...

I was going to say something about going on retreat this weekend.

I was going to say something about sleeping in a tent for the first time in twenty years, feeling the cold earth beneath me and cuddling under an ancient cheapo sleeping bag and several warm blankets.

I was going to say something about sitting in the middle of a field at sunrise, and watching the sun brighten the tops of the trees to the west. I watched the process as the light then slowly moved down until each tree was completely shimmering in bright green, yellow, brown and red. It was like a reverse window shade. I had to keep reminding myself that it really had little to do with the sun "going up" behind me but rather with the earth turning around. When you stop and watch it happening in real time, it is quite astonishing, isn't it?

And in the end, I don't know what to say about Las Vegas that hasn't already been said, here or by someone else. I don't understand people killing other people. Ever. I don't understand wanting to own weapons of any kind. I don't understand wanting to create those weapons, or to glorify them in movies, books, games or other entertainment. But even my own vague focus on the negative illustrates part of the problem. Those of us who are literally peace-loving will only create the world we want by focusing on the world we want. A consistent fight against (or focus on) what we don't want will only create more of what we don't want. I really believe this essential law of attraction-ism.

I want a world where I can watch vibrant trees coming to life in the morning and not have that immersion in beauty snatched away a few hours later. I want outbreaks of beauty and love to be world news.