Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Home

You know how it is, when you get on a certain wavelength, and suddenly books appear out of nowhere, or album titles speak to you, or songs have meaning that didn't have meaning the day before. I suppose it's not surprising, what with all that's happening with me, that I just discovered the song by Stephen Paulus called, "The Road Home." The song's lyrics were written by Michael Dennis Browne, according to the composer's website (https://stephenpaulus.com/blogs/news/17806884-work-story-the-road-home). I mean, there cannot be lyrics in the entire world that resonate more with me right now. But it's the last verse that bowls me over: "Rise up, follow me, come away, is the call, with the love in your heart as the only song, there is no such beauty as where you belong. Rise up, follow me, I will lead you home."

The hardest part, when you are still in pieces, is believing that such a thing can happen. But I can feel a subtle shift now that I have sewn my pieces back together. These lyrics don't sound silly or make me cynical or angry or hopeless as they once would have. Love is the only song. There is a beauty to being where you belong, and where you belong is where you belong. There is a gentle but powerful river of love capable of leading us all "home" -- and we don't need to die to get there. Whether that home is a place, or a group of people, or a beloved activity, or "just" that blissful moment when you finally love and trust yourself, this is the work we are meant to do more than any on the planet. Rise up, gather up the scattered pieces, put them back together as best we can, and then follow love home to where we can be our finest selves.