Friday, December 7, 2018

Voices and snow

Every morning the last few months, I have taken a beautiful little gold cocker spaniel for a walk. This dog and I seem to love each other very much, and I say "seem" just because I am new to pet love and still attribute some of it to "yippee, she's the lady that walks me and sometimes feeds me." Indeed, while I have come close to seriously loving several of my friends' pets over the last few years, this is the first time I have completely succumbed. At this time of year, the dawn sidewalk is silent except for the sound of snow crackling underfoot. My little friend pokes his nose into the drifts, sniffs out scents near the sidewalk, and generally meanders until he needs to do his business, after which, in this cold, he is all "business" trotting back to the warm house. Several mornings we have encountered deer, but today was dead quiet and still, maybe ten degrees Fahrenheit.

There is a new voice singing, however. Evidently a major British opera star has called on King's College, Cambridge to open their famous men and boys' choir to girls. I wondered when this would finally happen. Many of the major choral programs have girls' choirs now, but not Kings (a college chapel) and a few of the other most prominent cathedrals and abbeys. From what I can see, this has started a passionate debate, one that I would have thought was long overdue, whatever the outcome. I first wanted to join that choir fifty-five years ago. It's going to be something else, watching whether and how the evolution takes place. What do you know? Maybe it will be in my lifetime after all!