Thursday, February 23, 2023

Hodgepodge

The blizzard finally hit, about twelve hours later than expected. I honor local weather-people, and it's amazing these days how fine tuned and accurate many of the forecasts are. But I get a kick out of how Nature sometimes throws a curve ball. Ultimately, She is in charge, and we can only marvel. Late in the day yesterday, down in Wisconsin, one inch had fallen in one town, and in the next town over, thirteen. The locations of bands of lake effect snow simply cannot be pinned down in advance. 

You know you are either a fine musician, or a frequent listener of classical public radio (or both) when you turn the radio on, and within two notes, you've identified the piece as Sibelius's "Finlandia". This actually stuns me, because I am not an orchestral musician or a composer/music theorist. But relatively little choral music makes its way onto these particular airwaves, and I guess it has forced my ear to expand and grow. That has to be a good thing. A little "clairaudience" (or steps in that direction) won't hurt in the years ahead.

Every passing day, I am more and more thankful that I have come to align my own personal spirituality with the Goddess. It gives me something to hang onto, as the human world seems to be increasingly conflict- and hatred-driven. It gives me something to love, when love is so invisible on the world stage. I feel calm at my core in a way I rarely have in the past. I know I will survive these times, either on the spirit plane or here on earth, so I don't really have to fret.

The wind is blowing tornados of snow in the yard next-door. A relatively warm Lake Superior is wide open with little ice, so waves are crashing into the beach at Park Point, Canal Park, and parts of the north and south shores. Although the wind chill today and tonight will be -20 to -30 degrees F, we are probably beyond the point where the lake will freeze up significantly, so as odd as it may be in these temperatures to talk about global "warming" -- it is real here. And it is almost March, sometimes the most dramatic winter month of all around here!