Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Mornings

Don't you love the early mornings as we near summer solstice? Here it is, 5 or 5:30 AM, and I've been up for at least an hour, literally with the birds.  Many spiritual teachers speak of the importance of keeping a positive "spin" going early in the day, for as long as you can, and I guess it's kind of funny that nature offers even more half-light time at this moment in the year.  I'm sure I'm like many of you, initially glad for the new day, enjoying the birdsong, inwardly counting some blessings...then it starts.  The chorus of another kind.  The chorus of dread or terror or "oh no, I am still facing that." There are several schools of thought about negativity/"contrasts"/recurring "issues" or old traumas.  One is that they need to be faced and honored, given the space to breathe.  Kind of, "good morning, you, are you still with me? OK, let's move forward."  And the other is that we need to do anything, anything, to get into a positive mental place and leave the negative behind so that we attract new experiences from the highest possible place.

The latter makes so much sense philosophically, and yet seems to be almost as big of a challenge sometimes as the most daunting outward impediment.  Yet I'm ever hopeful that someday, I'll awake to an attitude of pure bliss.  When I read my daily "Tut" "Note from the Universe," at least for that second or two I truly do believe that I am on an amazing life adventure, and that I am operating spectacularly, that all the angels and holy beings are cheering me on, and that today will be a wonderful and important day -- for all of us!  Within a few minutes, I realize that those "issues" are still there.  But the good thing is, they don't kick me in the stomach or take my breath away the way they used to.  I've found kind of a happy medium where I am able to hear the dissonant chorus and welcome it to sing with the rest of the choir.  It just doesn't drown out the overall harmony the way it used to, or bring the music to a screeching halt. I guess it's kind of like a musical (Renaissance, particularly English) "false relation," where a b and a b-flat sound simultaneously.  I listened to some Thomas Tallis yesterday, and it's just like that.

Hallelujah...