Saturday, May 27, 2017

A Festival of the Little Things

When you are yearning for big things but they don't seem to be coming, and you are daily saddened by the world outbreak of hatred and corruption, it's very easy to lose heart. Thus it was that Thursday turned out to be a Festival of the Little Things, and it was a day to be thankful for.

A little money was direct deposited into my account, and early in the morning I also received a newsletter about spirituality written by a dear friend. The letter has a donation link, and so I sent her a small gift. It felt good. I'd like to do that more often for more people, not to mention the dozen or so huge things that I need or want to do. For the millionth time perhaps in the last few decades, I begged whatever gods there be for guidance. Please, lead me to more money or a physically, emotionally and ethically tolerable way to make it! And I swear, within about twenty minutes, I received a call from the place where I am a part-time receptionist, asking whether I'd be interested in more hours the next few months. Yes, yes, I said. Thank you.

Later in the afternoon, I went downtown and withdrew $20 from a cash machine. I went for a much needed hair trim, then went, yes, to church for Ascension Day. Theologically, I can tolerate the ascension a whole lot more easily than Holy Week/Easter, and the music is good too. To my great surprise, I was invited to a pot luck dinner party after the service, and really enjoyed myself. Because no one was driving back to my part of town and the buses were no longer running, I called a taxi, and I didn't have to wait for it. The minute I walked out the door, the taxi was driving up the street. And, because of having gone to the cash machine, I actually had $10 in my wallet for the ride. Things were simply flowing.

The festival continued yesterday, when I came "this close" to pouring an entire glass of ice tea on this dear computer, which would not have been a good thing. I almost literally felt an angelic hand push my hand in the other direction at the last minute.

Some people will say, it was the giving. Some people will say, it was the asking. It is probably both. Throwing off some old constrictions around my heart in the last week or so must also help. All I know is that each day is potentially a festival of the little things. May I stay mindful of how great that is!