Monday, May 1, 2017

Springing and slinging

I've graduated from New York City to upstate, way upstate, where the grass is green but the trees haven't come out yet and greyness persists. My spring break may not be what the college kids would recognize, but it was necessary after a winter to remember. Time to think (on train and bus), two gorgeous choral evensongs in the City and another service in Albany, jazz, and friends. What more do you need?

When you are a mystic, you can tell when time has been well spent if there are revelations, and there have been. Big time. I am still trying to sort them out, and a few others over the last few weeks. I realize that when I changed course at about 27 (and my astrologer friends would call this my first Saturn return), I tried to thoroughly forget my real self, and it was like taking apart a jigsaw puzzle and scattering the pieces across the table and swirling them around to thoroughly mix them up. For nearly thirty five years, I've been putting the pieces in, one at a time. And as with any jigsaw puzzle, once you get closer to the end, there are fewer mystery pieces left, and the process gets faster and faster. (Of course, the interesting thing is that back then, I thought I was working on an entirely new puzzle, and it's only a few years ago that I realized that I was putting together the old me.) It's fascinating, too, that it is at the second solar return that I'm nearly done -- the last few key pieces are fitting into place. You know they are "key" because they buzz. Literally. When you are in a certain setting or with certain people or doing a certain activity, you resonate. You can feel it, almost like the urge to speak in a Quaker meeting. I suspect that there could be moments of this resonance every day, and I'm going to make sure I feel for them from now on!

The other day, I spoke of artificial intelligence, but this trip has made me wish that science would focus on another type of development. I had decided against using a roller bag, and instead put my few things in an over-the-shoulder canvas bag, envisioning just being able to sling it easily over my shoulder as I tripped lightly up bus and subway station stairs, in and out of trains, etc. Um, what was I thinking? My computer alone (a rather heavy older laptop which thankfully still works) makes easy slinging impossible; add in two changes of clothes, an extra pair of shoes, a book, a few toiletries, a water bottle and snack, and it might as well be a bowling ball or two. Being "of a certain age," backpacks hurt my back. So it's like, forget virtual reality games. Could we come up with some way for all of these basic belongings to weigh about two pounds?! Thank you!