Thursday, July 8, 2021

Dedication

What's the expression? "In for a dime, in for a dollar"? If I am going to interpret oracle cards once, perhaps having broken the ice, I can do it again. In this case, I think it's an important illustration of a moment in a person's spiritual process.

This morning, I woke up remembering snippets of two dreams. Over the last year or two, this virtually never happened. So I sat up and quickly wrote them down in my journal, and mulled over whether living in a more spiritually-intentional space was helping in this regard, or whether my having broken some new ground in yesterday's  blog had made me more receptive to dream messages. 

Either way, I like feeling gradually more and more tuned in to my own inner promptings, and the visual and natural symbols that are increasingly coming to me, so I said a little prayer dedicating myself to paying ever more attention to them, and communicating what I learn (through writing, art, music, etc.)

A few minutes later, I shuffled my decks of cards (referenced yesterday) and chose:

  • The Moon (Rider)
  • Nine of Arrows/Dedication (Wildwood)
Now, the Moon card is often interpreted negatively, the "dark night of the soul" kind of thing. Indeed, the booklet accompanying the Rider deck speaks of "hidden enemies, danger, darkness, terror..." And yet to me, nothing in the image on the card begins to suggest those interpretations, and knowing that the moon is so often viewed as representing the feminine, it's almost laughable that an image of the moon would create such a fear-filled response.

My interpretation is that the Moon card represents the landscape of the divine feminine, her milieu, as it were. Yes, the light is reflected, and is not as direct as the sun, but it creates a striking illuminating clarity -- in Smith's illustration, none of the objects cast a shadow, for instance. It is a portal card, in that there is a golden path right through the center, following from the nearby water (yes, representing the deep unconscious) to a mountain far in the distance. On each side is a baying dog or wolf, and a standing stone, and in the center, a lobster (of all things) crawling out of the unconscious, about to make the slow journey to a higher plane. This card is certainly suggestive of dream imagery, and celebrates awareness of all kinds of subtle symbols on the spiritual and physical plane.

Can you imagine? I dedicate myself to noticing and communicating these kinds of phenomena, only to blindly pick a card minutes later called "dedication"! By now, I should no longer be astonished by such serendipities, but they still fill me with awe. The artwork shows a young woman playing her bow and arrow as if it were a violin, dedicating herself, you might say, to her spiritual "music", which truly seems to come from within. 

There are times when these cards feel like they are in dialogue with you, and this morning, what I heard was a big cosmic "yes".