Saturday, August 12, 2023

...Then Ashes

Our hot and dry conditions thankfully lessened somewhat yesterday with the arrival of a small amount of much-needed rain. Heavenly to listen to, and nourishing to grass, soil, and soul. Not enough to erase a drought, but welcome nonetheless. Thankfully, only a few small wildfires in the vicinity...so far.

But this is an interconnected world, and I "feel" the disastrous scene in Maui as if it were in my own bones. And if I had even the slightest doubt as to the seriousness of the situation facing us, it evaporated upon seeing the drone footage of the burned line of cars trying to escape the fires. As much as I understand officials trying to reassure people that things will be rebuilt, you just have to wonder, when will we all "get" that that is the problem in the first place? 

The other day, these words came to me: "Clearly I wasn't preparing for what what I thought I was preparing for." I've spoken recently of the life I thought I had wanted to live, and the life my background might have suggested I would lead. If, 40 years ago, I had gone directly from my University of London master's studies to a musical, creative life in that city, it probably would have been a far more fulfilling life...and I'm still sorry it didn't happen. But if that had become my "normal", I would now be far less prepared for the time we are entering. Having had to regroup and regroup and regroup -- and live on the margins -- has forced me to look at our world more truthfully, I suppose. I see truth breaking out all over the place, and I see it with different eyes than I would have if I had been settled and happy.

People probably wonder, what brings you joy in these times? And I guess it is the emergence of truth, of love, and of the embracing power of the divine feminine. It's the promise of new paradigms emerging out of the ashes.