Monday, September 18, 2023

Doing our Best

This has been a strange few days, with a merlin at my window, a sick dog, a trip out of state (20 minutes by city bus to nearby Wisconsin), and, of course, attention to the news, especially as it relates to climate and earth changes.

It is probable that every person on this planet is doing his or her best with the qualities they were born with, and given the qualities of the culture into which they were born. For those who believe that the climate is undergoing rapid re-formation, it is natural to ask, "What can I do? What can we do? What should our institutions do?" The urge to "do something" is almost overwhelming.

And yet here is where I get stuck. It feels like, that's the problem. Over thousands of years, we have "done" too much, most of it without, in effect, asking Nature's permission. I spoke of this a bit a few weeks ago...I mean, when did we ever ask Nature whether it was wise to dig under earth's surface, or send chemicals into the air/water/our bodies, or build skyscrapers, or use finite resources to travel, heat and cool? It makes sense to communicate with/express concerns to various present-day institutions, and yet few of these institutions would even exist if humanity had considered our earth home worthy of tender care in the first place. Our approach to virtually every aspect of human society would have been completely different starting many generations ago.

I guess that is why my "best" right now looks, as usual, as if I am doing nothing (!) All I can "do" is welcome, as wholeheartedly as I can, the fact that the Goddess is doing whatever She needs to keep earth viable for life. This is Her time. About all I can do is quietly and rootedly open my arms in gratitude, and let Nature use Her advanced wisdom to set things on an eventual right path, no matter what that may mean to our short-term human plans. It may mean getting out of the way, or if I am in the way, to release control of outcome. This is a time when "doing my best"/"doing our best" will probably be more about not-doing than doing.