Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Ageing

My computer isn't happy with my use of this spelling of "ageing", but that's life.

There is no way I'm going to try to address the entire topic of "getting older" today, so just a little aspect of it. For a few weeks I have had an issue with my upper right arm, which in true "me" style, I tried to essentially ignore/allow to heal itself. Well, over this past weekend, I was in more pain, so I finally went and had an initial look at it, which will be followed soon by another appointment. That's as far as I will go with this today.

However, no matter how you slice it, this event has reminded me (as if I needed it) that the 67-year-old body is not as strong or resilient as the 47-year-old one, or the 27-year-old one. Overall, I have been outrageously fortunate. I'm beginning to realize that I am the one needing to do more "thanksgiving"! But, with no car, I carry heavy loads...I remember a day back in August when I carried two too-heavily laden grocery bags too far. It just simply wasn't smart. And whether that event triggered this injury or not, it's the ageing reality -- you keep having to pare back a little bit here, a little bit there. When your spirit is still strong and you still have work to do in the world, it goes against the grain to say "no" to life. But it becomes a survival skill of its own, I guess!

Goddess grant me the wisdom to know where to move forward and where to release and relax. Help me to navigate vulnerability and even, at times, the shame of looking older to the outside world. Help me to become ever-clearer about those things I absolutely must do to fulfill my destiny, and once I become clear, help me to act --safely. Thank you.