Tuesday, January 23, 2024

What a difference...

...a day makes. On Sunday, I eked out two short, cold walks around the block. Yesterday, about thirty degrees warmer, I could walk to the bus stop and wait comfortably, with no risk of frostbite. And, true to the notion of climate chaos, the next week or so will be unusually warm, not cold. This winter to date, Duluth has had about one third its average snowfall, and one fifth last year's total. It would seem that the last eight days was more of an exception to the new norm than a return to an old one.

As is often the case, I seem to have been slow to pick up on a new term: doomers. Ie: people who are extremely pessimistic in the face of climate change, artificial intelligence, the threat of war, etc. I'm a "boomer" of course, and I guess I would be a "boomer doomer" if the only reality I could see was our male-dominated, conflict-driven one. Yes, the only way such a construct can end is, ahem, "poorly", so pessimism about it is warranted. But I believe we are seeing the emergence of a more feminine, loving energy in our midst, and in that context I have hope. 

Perhaps it could be said there is extreme narcissism even in the belief that humanity has the power to completely destroy planet Earth. Yes, we may have it in us to destroy it as a place to live for many generations to come. But cause it no longer to exist? Somehow I doubt it. And we certainly cannot destroy the entire universe. If Nature's only creative power is Love, then I suspect there will be unexpected beauty, new growth and tenacity emerging from the ashes of whatever we thoughtlessly destroy. I don't think Nature "thinks" scientifically, as we do, so probably emerging life forms and processes will be invisible unless you look through the eyes of love and harmony. The old "eyes" will stop working, and most of the old non-love-based assumptions and institutions. The primary "work" of this time is in the heart, the brain, and the senses.

And along the way, errands like going to the post office and library...staying grounded.