Monday, October 17, 2016

Teaching moment

I said on Friday, in effect, that I would spend the weekend trying to find something to love in response to the ever deteriorating news last week. It would turn out to be rather hard.

Saturday morning brought me some personal news that shook me deeply. Despite the unseasonably warm weather, I worried. To try to get some perspective, I went to the local art museum, which I hoped would uplift or inspire or soothe. But instead, everything from some Picasso drawings of women (with the figures of course looking like they had been through a blender) to seemingly harmless impressionist paintings of women in white 19th-century garb bothered me. Last week was definitely some kind of watershed for me in terms of awareness.

Saturday night, I couldn't sleep to save my life. The brilliant hunter's moon seemed to pierce through my soul, trying to shed light on something that I can't quite put my finger on. 

Sunday, I heard some fine church music and yet, as usual, I could not connect to the service itself. I wandered back through the crackling, dead leaves, tried to make up a little sleep, then made my third supper in a row of roasted vegetables and rice. I love roasted vegetables and am grateful that I have them to nourish me, but I made the mistake of turning on the television to eat my meal by, where inevitably I learned that hate had not taken the weekend off.

It took until 8 PM Sunday to finally find something to love, PBS's "The Durrells in Corfu." Love, love, love. I was in Corfu. I was part of an eccentric but loving family. I had four children (a prospect that is about as far from my reality as is humanly possible!) I was in heaven, a huge dilapidated, empty-ish house in pastel colors overlooking the water. I don't remember any movie, book, or TV show drawing me in this completely, ever. For an hour, I was literally "in" love. Escapism? Yes. But absolutely essential right now. I must remember the quality of that love energy, and the factors that made me so happy, fictional though they may have been.

We have been handed the "teaching moment" of a lifetime. If you have never taught, it is that moment in the classroom where something bigger happens than the lesson on the syllabus that you were meant to be teaching -- it can start out awkwardly, even very unpleasantly, or as the result of humor. But there is some kind of epiphany, leading to the entire classroom being taken to a higher level of understanding about life, about being human. It seems to me that if we can see it this way, this national/international teaching moment will bring us higher. Hang in there, everyone.