Tuesday, August 1, 2017

A Peak Experience

I am doing something that I am quite sure is ill-advised: writing this blog at a jet-lagged three in the morning. But this "holiday" is hard work, what with over four hours of rehearsals and an hour's choral evensong service every day, and local bus travel to get from accommodation to cathedral...last night I managed to eat half a sandwich before falling asleep before 8 pm. Of course I'm up now, wide awake.

Probably every person on this planet has a different definition of what would be a peak experience for them. And mine actually happened at yesterday's service. I am singing in one of England's major cathedrals, in a group of excellent, experienced amateur singers. We were conducted at last night's service by the man who conducted Royal Holloway's choir when I was a student, and it was as if not one second had passed (instead of 36 years!) Singing in my right ear was a dear friend and professional singer, and we sang the extraordinary music of William Byrd. The choir was surrounded by a large, beautiful, and clearly appreciative congregation, and the sound was glorious. I could almost feel my entire body "zinging" (as well as singing).

I can't help but think that my British fellow singers cannot quite know what it is like for this to be such a rare moment, since choral evensong is so easily available to them to sing or hear in person. I confess that just now, I really "lost it." Despite all my confident plans for imbuing this trip with finality and closure, the effect has, of course, been just the opposite. I know when I'm in my element and in my tribe, and this is it. After all these years, I still don't get why I just can't simply be home, in my element. The answer must lie within me, but as of this writing, I cannot hear it.

Rocks of any size have been hard to find here in the ultra-civilized south of England, so whether my "cairn" moment will involve actually creating a pile of stones or simply burying a heart-shaped crystal I brought with me, I don't know. I guess I'll wing it in a few hours. But I know now the prayer I will say, the words of last night's hymn:

Lead, kindly Light, amid the encircling gloom,
Lead thou me on;
The night is dark and I am far from home,
Lead thou me on;
Keep thou my feet; I do not ask to see the distant scene;
One step is enough for me.