Wednesday, August 16, 2017

It's happening...

I have agonized over this essay for three days now. To spend eleven days in England singing arguably the most celestial music ever written, then return to the States to what many of us would define as "hell" is surreal in the extreme. It leaves one nearly speechless.

Back when I taught at the community college, a unit on the Holocaust was a required part of one of my syllabi; most of my students thought that Nazism had been a one-time thing, and that it would never be possible in the US. I honestly didn't think it was likely either, but I did try to get students to think about how quickly trends or leaders can change, and what might happen if our freedoms were suddenly taken from us overnight. 

And here it is. It's happening. Cruel torch-wielding zombies and leaders devoid of honesty, honor or compassion are in the ascendant while those of us who are empathetic are fighting just to breathe. There is a reason I have never watched movies like this, because they just seem too real.

I still believe what I said the other day. There's an ever-expanding black hole of hatred here that would like nothing better than to swallow all of us up, but the only thing it cannot digest is love. I cannot and will not love these monsters. They'll have to fend for themselves on this vile journey they've chosen. But I also cannot and will not emulate their rage. I stand up to hatred simply by being as calm, loving, truthful, harmonic and beautiful as I know how -- and most of all, courageous.