Saturday, September 23, 2017

Location

If my next-to-last post was called "Dislocation," this one has to be called, "Location." It's funny, I looked up the word and found the geographic definition which involves the meeting point of longitude and latitude. From that perspective, there isn't any other human being at my same point right this minute -- what an awesome thought that is!  I guess in a city or in a skyscraper, one can rarely make that claim, but in much of the world, we each inhabit a unique locus at any given moment.

I'm proud of myself. While I may never approach a new American landscape with the same feeling of "home" as I do an English one, still, I find myself neutral but open right this minute. The inner "no" hasn't expressed itself. Just a somewhat muted "It's OK, I'm here to learn." For me, that's quite a step forward. I'm going to try to focus more on an inner "place" of resonance and acceptance and work outward. 

There's a dresser for my clothes, a desk to write at, and a small bookshelf that fits all my books, which run the gamut of my interests, from English cathedrals to women's spirituality to Mary Balogh romances. That's pretty much me in a nutshell. Nice to know that no one will ever be able to say, "she didn't know who she was." I totally know the "who"; the only thing that has ever been in question is the "how."

This is the bookend moment to that quiet one before my latest journey. The sun is streaming in the window, and it's blissfully still except for a few cars passing in the street.