Thursday, September 9, 2021

Earring Mystery

At a moment in history when one is fortunate to be alive, healthy, and under a safe roof, this is going to seem like an extremely frivolous subject.

So, yesterday, when I had all my things out on the floor and was sorting, tossing, and otherwise "organizing", I did what I always do when I am about to move. I own about thirty pairs of earrings. I don't wear makeup, bracelets, or do anything fancy with my hair. Most of my clothing is handed down, or from inexpensive big box stores. Earrings are my only real form of fashion expression, although mine are pretty unfashionable, if the truth be known. Or at least not "stylish" -- kind of who I am, somewhat conservative, but artsy, somewhere on the classic/eye-catching cusp. A bit "different". I've rarely purchased earrings, only once in a blue moon. But friends sometimes give me earrings they are about to take to the thrift store, and I have a few nice ones that I was given for Christmas or birthdays.

At the end of the process of pairing the earrings up and putting them in the little zippered bag I keep them in, there was a horrifying sight -- not one, not two, but six single earrings! I've searched all over the room I have been living in for their mates, and through all my bags. Nothing. Then it finally hit me. All summer, I have been putting masks on (to go into stores or the bus) and taking them off again when I get outside. In addition to that, I wear glasses, and a sun hat that has a chin strap. Most of my earrings are drop earrings, and all this unusual activity around my ears must have led to earrings simply falling out onto the street. I am surprised that I didn't notice what was going on sooner, at the end of the day when I took them off. But it's the only explanation I can think of.

I did a search, and I guess I am not the only person having this problem. Something I saw suggested wearing post earrings, which of course makes sense because they have backs that prevent the earring from falling out. But I prefer drop earrings. I'm going to have to go out and buy some extra backs to use on my remaining earrings, and also try to be more intentional and careful taking off masks. There are lots of ripple effects to the pandemic, and while this may be near or at the bottom of the list, it is still "a thing", especially for people whose earrings were expensive. Mine were not, but there are two in particular that I will miss. They are like old friends.