Friday, September 24, 2021

Up in the Air

As I write, things are again moving and changing beneath my feet. My new situation may, itself, be in flux, so at the moment when I had started to feel a little grounded, I can feel the subtle shifting again. The metaphor of "shifting sands" may be overused, but that is what it feels like. Not enough movement to throw my balance completely off, but I cannot quite settle in yet.

I trust the Goddess enough to know that I am being guided, so overall, I remain pretty calm. On an emotional level, I feel a great deal of empathy with the Haitian refugees and so many around the world whose lives are fluid, who don't have a permanent place to be.  But I also know that I remain comparatively fortunate. So far, I have never been without a roof over my head. And my situation, while not by "choice" exactly, has always been due to finding no appropriate niche, and little or no financial support for my specific gifts; it is not due to climate disaster, war, or political turmoil. Still, nearly an entire lifetime without a permanent home is beginning to take its toll.

Yesterday, I walked to Lake Superior and sat in the calm sunlight, soaking in her expansiveness. Today, it is cold and seriously windy. Things change quickly around here, literally on a dime. They sometimes change back again just as quickly. May I  stay open-hearted and open-minded as the winds roar around me.