Thursday, December 22, 2022

Decembrrr...

Back in 2016, I wrote a post called "Brr..." with only two r's. This is definitely a three r "Decembrrr" day! The wind chills are going to be off the charts today and tomorrow, -40 or lower. This weather, for once, is affecting a large portion of the US, throwing people's holiday travel and shopping plans into turmoil, and making it literally unsafe to go out.

Yesterday, I did eventually venture out to the grocery store I'm within walking distance of, before the winds picked up. It was an adventure containing three minor miracles. I dropped one of my mittens in the store, and someone figured out it was mine and gave it back to me. Then, upon leaving the store, I realized that there was already a bus at the bus stop (with heavy bags, I need to take the bus back to my cross street). I was sure I had missed it and would have to wait 20 or 30 minutes. But, bless her heart, the driver saw me coming, recognized me (and the fact that I am a regular), and waited for me...and then, she told me rides were free because of the cold! Lastly, I walked safely down the hill, in the middle of the road. (Generally during and after storms, there is street plowing well before there is sidewalk shoveling.) I'm learning a new level of pedestrian intuition. It's reasonably safe to set foot on white (all snow). It's reasonably safe to walk on brown (where the plows have left a mixture of salt and dirt). What is unsafe, even with ice grippers on your boots, is grey or silver in color, ice covered by a fine layer of snow. 'Nuff said!

Two comments on the news coverage of this latest storm, close on the heels of another one a week ago that affected a large part of the country. First of all, at this moment in history, I would ditch that "once-in-a-generation" label! It may reassure people right this second, but we will be having more and more similar events, and it simply will become inaccurate, if it is not already.

Secondly, I still keep hearing those derogatory comments about Mother Nature, that she has it in for us, or that she is "disrupting" our holiday plans. Oh gosh, where does one start? Nature (no matter what gender you may ascribe to it, if any) is not singling out any one person, country, or area of any country. This isn't payback, or anger, or a force to be fought. Nature is simply doing what it needs to do to keep this planet reasonably livable. She has adapted and adapted and adapted, and is still doing so. There is another option for us humans at this frigid, dark time of year, and that is to stay home, stop fighting, and celebrate it with whoever is near. Take some baked goods to your neighbor, or hibernate. We can honor earth and her storms by simply being grateful for whatever warmth and safety we have. Take Mother Nature into consideration before making complex travel plans, not after the storms arrive. Nature is far more powerful than we are, and in many parts of the country, Decembrrr is easier to deal with when we adapt from the get-go, when we graciously acknowledge Nature's wisdom and sovereignty.