Friday, August 14, 2015

Joy

The death of John Scott, organist and choirmaster of St. Thomas Church Fifth Avenue, has rolled over the world of English church music like a steam roller.  He was one of the brightest stars (some might say, the brightest) in the whole field, and Facebook tributes poured in all day yesterday from around the world, and are continuing to.  I had only met John once, briefly, after a service at the church, but everyone who loves this genre of music is family on some level, and feeling a sense of disbelief.

Of course, many of the tributes making the rounds were YouTube videos, and one was of the 1997 Christmas concert at St. Paul's Cathedral, London, where he directed music for many years.  The cathedral is filled to capacity, and a full orchestra and the men and boys' choir are at the crossing, with John conducting everyone in the Christmas carol, "Hark the Herald Angels Sing."  It is the matchless Sir David Willcocks setting, with the descant on the final verse.  As that verse opens, the camera scans the choir, and at the 2:40 point in the video, happens to catch one of the choirboys in a moment -- and attitude -- of pure joy.  The look on his face is indescribable, more joy-filled than any I have seen on another person in my life.  He couldn't have "tamped down" the joy if he had tried (although an adult might have done just that!)

I recognized the feeling, because I, too, have mainly felt it making or hearing music in the resonant space of a cathedral or chapel, yet I have never seen my own face at those moments.  This young man's expression will long remain with me as the "true north" for joy.  Whenever I have decisions in front of me, I will always try to pick the option with the best potential for leading to that look and that feeling.

It occurs to me that, although you can plan, strategize, work, or construct your way into a setting or situation that promotes beauty or joy (that young chorister, the conductor and the choir and orchestra had undoubtedly worked tirelessly leading up to the performance), it may not be possible to "create" joy.  It is, I believe, our natural state within; under the right circumstances, it erupts like a volcano, exudes out of us, and even a steam roller cannot keep it down permanently. How wonderful to be reminded of that on a hard day!