Thursday, August 27, 2015

The Word Bank


When I was young, perhaps six or seven years old, I had a rather odd belief.  I got it into my head that each person was put on this planet with a word “bank” or storage space.  We were limited, in this lifetime, to speaking only the words in the bank.  We had unlimited access to words like “a” or “the” or “and.” However, fewer and fewer more complex words were in the bank.  There might be 1,000 uses of the word “train,” and 500 uses of the word “participation.”  And forget about bandying about a word like “antidisestablishmentarianism!”  There was only one of those in a lifetime!

According to this notion, what would happen as I got older is that I’d go to speak a normal sentence, and a word here and a word there just wouldn’t come out.  There would be dead silence.  Gradually, over time, there would be more and more silence, verbal Swiss cheese, until eventually my statements, particularly complex or interesting ones, would be unintelligible.  So, looking ahead from my second or third grade vantage point, I determined that I should stay as silent as possible early on, so that at least I’d have some ability to speak in an emergency once I was older.

There is no way my parents explicitly told me such a thing, so this has to be a case of seriously misconstruing something they, or a teacher, said.  I had misunderstood other things.  For years, I was sure that the Episcopal service of Holy Communion was referring to “meat and rice,” when in fact it was “meet and right.” 

And yet other childhood messages seemed to support my word bank belief.  My brothers and I were to be “seen and not heard,” particularly when there were adult visitors in the house.  We lined up, came into the living room to meet Mr. and Mrs. Smith, and then disappeared out in the yard to play.  Even with our parents, we were to “speak only when spoken to.”  It seems positively Victorian from the standpoint of 2015, yet my parents’ own parents were born in the 1800’s.  These childrearing truisms survived two World Wars and a Great Depression, staying intact into the early 1960’s when they were passed on to me.  I think it was probably the social upheaval of the late 1960’s that finally did them in! 

There’s much more to be said about the long journey toward self-expression, but for now, I will only say that I was astonished a few years ago to meet another woman of my generation who had had a similar childhood idea. The feminist in me has to wonder whether a young male, even then, would ever have been able to formulate such a self-silencing belief.  At the very least, boys of the 1950’s and early 60’s must have seen the adult men around them in positions of power, and known that eventually, their own words would carry weight.  Why did I, a girl, see an ever-diminishing power to speak in my future?

Blogs have existed for a number of years, and yet only recently did I drum up the courage to write one, and still, deep down, I find myself wondering whether I’ll go to write something important and the bank vault will close on me. 

Breathe, Elizabeth, breathe.  It’s not going to happen.  Yet another inner hole in the ice to skate around!