Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Nine Lives

I don’t know about anyone else, but when I go on “retreat” (or whatever the better name is that I’m searching for), I often go into it asking – no, begging – the Universe for clarity on the next step forward. And yet, that isn’t always what I get. This time I’ve been on a surprising “this is your life” journey, leading to feeling something I have too rarely felt, overwhelming compassion for myself and all my 60-something women friends.

Let’s face it, the America we were born into, the America we saw as we toddled around and took our first baby steps, was a gleaming mid-1950’s, self-assured one filled with white enameled appliances and extraordinary cars. Our mothers did wear aprons – it’s not just a “Leave it to Beaver” joke. Our dads worked “at the office.” The shoebox-shaped black-and-white TV with its 9- or 10-inch screen advertised cleaning products, cars, shampoo and cigarettes. My very earliest impressions must have been that my life would be an updated instant replay of my mother’s. And yet by the time I was in first grade, I heard my parents talking in hushed tones about how Schenectady would be the first to “go” if the Russians bombed the US, and no number of school “duck and cover” air raid drills made us feel safe from a fireball in the sky. By the age of 7 or 8, I was writing to the President, asking him to ban nuclear weapons, and yet within another year or two, America seemed to be on fire from within, with Vietnam and assassinations and social upheaval. By then, Schenectady, far from being in the bull’s eye, was a distant outlying province of the real action. I was too young to protest or go to Woodstock, but listening to songs like “The Age of Aquarius” on my tiny transistor radio, I felt some reassurance that despite appearances, we were heading into an era of “harmony and understanding.” Harmony was the key word for musical me. I guess my generation was the last to major in what we loved in college. The word “career” was never mentioned, as in, what was I going to do with a music major?  I actually knew what I was going to do…go to England, marry an Englishman, and have sons who would sing English cathedral music since it was not then an option for women.
I went to England in 1980, but I didn’t meet Mr. Right, and returned with an M.Mus in historical musicology and huge student loans, and was thrust out into the world of Reaganomics and kill-or-be-killed capitalism. I hung on as long as I could, but eventually jumped off the merry-go-round once my loans were paid off, around 1990. By then, most of my friends were married with children, but it was hardly the gleaming 50’s version of our memories. Single, I explored all sorts of places and options. The twin influences of personal computers and New Age/New Thought spirituality seemed to promise a belated nirvana, and yet 2001 brought Orwell instead. What's funny is, I can’t even find words to characterize the era we are in now. It is indescribable.  Brilliant and bizarre.

As I scan the lives of friends, it is hard to say whether anyone has achieved quite what they expected or wanted, yet clearly we are privileged compared to many women in the world. I have one friend who made it in the business world and I am sure is comfortably off, but it was a hard struggle for her as a woman.  A few are exploring new careers in holistic health or self-actualization. Some broke early ground for women in law or the church, but landed eventually in more traditional careers as teachers or nurses, and have exhaustedly reached or are reaching retirement, as are their husbands.  Many are grappling with illnesses (in self or family) that are less lethal than 60 years ago but also more ambiguous. Some of my friends are experiencing voluntary or involuntary housing uncertainty and are not entirely sure where they will be living a year from now. And a few of my friends are extremely well off, and yet their lives aren’t any less nuanced and messy.
I guess what I am saying is, although my life (and my lifelong effort to be in England and sing cathedral music) reflects a very unique and surprising plot line for a little girl from Schenectady, it’s a plot line that has been propelled by a ferocious zig-zag of national, world, social and health upheavals and changing expectations for women. Almost everyone I know has already had “nine lives,” and we’re all rather exhausted. It has been quite a journey. Much of the time I am hard on myself for not having done it “right.” So it came as a surprise to me yesterday to feel (almost literally) the hands of the Divine mother clasp me tight. What I inwardly heard was this: ”Dear one, you have done a remarkable job of living in this unprecedented moment in history. All of your friends have.  You have changed the world, you have changed with the world, and you are all loved.  Love yourselves.  And love as much as you can about the world around you.  Everyone is doing their best.  Love is the only step forward.” Simplistic, but it made me cry.

Maybe the Age of Aquarius is dawning after all, just in time for lifetime ten.