Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Leadership, Again


Well, I won’t lie. This has been a hard week or so. I have thankfully started to sleep a bit better, if only because I am trying to imagine that this Brexit earthquake might eventually be the catalyst for healing new directions, despite appearances to the contrary. And after enough days of no sleep, I think your body just takes over and says, “Sleep, dear one.” Tomorrow is the one year anniversary of my brother’s death, and I continue to feel rather shaky. I may talk about that later in the week. I seriously haven’t gotten over it. 
But I want to return to the archetype topic. Almost two weeks ago, I wrote about how looking at medieval social roles has helped me to understand my own core way of operating in the world. I suggested that once we know our passions, archetypes (from literature, fairy tales and history) might help us to understand our ideal way of powerfully “doing” them in the world today.

For years, I’ve called myself a wandering mystic. There’s no question that I’ve been almost like a Chaucerian pilgrim, poor, at times with the 21st-century version of only the sandals on my feet and the clothes on my back, walking a spiritual walkabout trying to make sense of life. My journey took me in decidedly futuristic spiritual directions, and yet paradoxically it would eventually uncover my strongest and earliest passions, English church music, and English history, spirituality, landscape, art and architecture.

And yet recently I have come to think that my true core archetype isn’t wanderer or pilgrim at all, I think it is “queen.”

OK, I’ve said it. Now, queens are hot in modern culture in all sorts of manifestations. You see the word on tee shirts and bumper stickers every day. So it seems odd to be so reticent about claiming the archetype’s energy. But I’ve been pushing it away all my life. Some of my forebears were “aristocratic,” but as a child in 1960’s Schenectady, that hardly seemed relevant. By my early teens, my family was chronically broke, so although many of my expectations and some of my experiences reflected privilege, I would walk into the adult world with what is now considered an epic “poverty mentality.” I was confused by the inconsistent highs and lows of my background. More than that, I was confused and ashamed of the fact that I identified with the “upper crust” in any situation. (Yes, on those quizzes, I am Downton Abbey’s Dowager Countess of Grantham, not Mrs. Patmore.) As a result, around the same time I deep-sixed all my interests in England and English church music, I also rejected anything that might have been positive or productive about such a heritage. I tried to convince myself that it was some kind of past life glitch. If I waitressed and mopped floors and did data entry and ran cash registers long enough, perhaps I could be a normal person.

If this blog is going to get me home in any sense of the word, I have to have the courage to tell the truth. And it isn’t about castles and tiaras and having courtiers anyway. It’s about leadership. More than anything, the secret I have hidden from myself and from the world is that I am a born leader. Perhaps more “mystic queen” than “warrior,” but still … If I haven’t “led” up till now, it’s because I don’t think you can be an effective leader until you embrace your passions. You have to understand the arena where you are meant to lead, which, of course, I did not. I could never have “led” as a college president or CEO of a PR firm or a politician, because I would never have been passionate about those goals. To work even in middle management of an institution, you have to believe in that institution – and the larger current “paradigm.” Overall, I don’t. So there was more integrity for me working much of the time at the bottom of the ladder and staying invisible.

Yet, here’s another hard truth. I’m not invisible. Because I am a leader who didn’t understand her potential for leadership, I stuck out like a sore thumb and made a dreadful employee. (I’m going to say this even at the risk of never getting a “job” again.) I take charge almost as soon as I walk in the door. I tell employers what to do. I learn tasks too quickly. I fix mistakes (like misspellings) and work faster and harder for my $10 an hour than anyone else, just out of boredom. I speak authoritatively. I don’t play the game well. I can see potential future outcomes and I am a nitpicker about ethics. I’m too smart. And, in the end, I want to be in charge -- only of something that is meaningful to me. The only “jobs” I’ve derived even the slightest bit of satisfaction from were characterized by some level of power autonomy: teaching (being “queen” of my classroom), running a small summer art gallery and being able to make day-to-day executive decisions, even being left to run small retail or restaurant establishments on my own, just for a few hours at a stretch. I’m at my best when I can stand up tall, greet people gracefully, make their learning or buying or eating experience as positive as possible, and when I can make all the executive decisions about the environment around me. I love writing this blog because it truly is my world. I am queen here.

Other than the fact that I am shaking from the terror of revealing these secrets about myself, I guess I’m relieved to be doing it. I haven’t been functional as an employee, I haven’t dared to be a leader, and I haven’t resonated with our current paradigm enough to lead within it. I don't seem to have an interest in money, so being an entrepreneur was out. What an appalling limbo! I’ve been pilgrim, teacher, contemplative nun, writer, artist and musician, and I am excellent at all of them, but in the end, I now suspect that they are only supporting skills. I have been skirting around the most important archetype. If I am to move forward, I need to accept my leadership mantle (which I started to talk about back in February) in some way that embraces cutting edge thinking and spirituality as well as the ancient landscape context that nourishes me. I cannot yet see how that is to work, other than to keep writing this blog and living my life step-by-step. But I guess the most important thing will happen the minute I hit the “publish” button at the top of this site. When I say to Spirit, “I am willing to lead. Just show me how” – then put these words out in the world – there may be no going back.  

I cannot help but wonder, how many more 60-something women have unexpressed leadership in their “wheelhouses”? How many of us have been in a similar limbo?