Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Word processing

I started this blog nearly a year ago now. Oddly enough, it seems like about five years. Very, very eventful. And these last few months, particularly, have been characterized by an ever-increasing torrent of words, in news outlets, on the campaign trail, and on social media. It is a by-product, perhaps, of the lively democratization of the moment, where so many of us who haven't dared to speak in the past have found the courage to do so, across the spectrum. Yet it unnerves me to realize that even I, who love words, am almost tired of them today. Perhaps it is not the words themselves, it is the pain of feeling words being hurled like arrows back and forth across the divide, blaming, shaming, ironic and even sad. I find that metaphorically, at least, it hurts my heart. And as someone who sees a direct link between these metaphors and health realities (and whose family has recently been re-shaped by "heart attacks"), I need to gently find a new way of processing the harshest of the words flying around out there.

Sticking one's head in the sand doesn't seem to be an option. Our world is undergoing such profound changes that I don't think anyone can ignore them anymore. One of the realities every morning will be accepting that, whether I hear it or not, the dialogue taking place is an important facet of the world's latest stage of evolution. Somehow, somehow, I need to "not judge" this tsunami and some of its content.

As best I can, I have made a commitment to speaking positively and lovingly, whether in this blog, on social media, or in emails. Do I slip occasionally? Yes. But feeling the pain of others' negativity, I really want to make it a practice from this moment forward never to actively hurt others with my words. I'm not an expert on loving. I never married, I never had children, and my biggest passion has been for a semi-obscure form of music. I'm only in the beginning stages of learning how to love. But something in me understands that it (not fear) must be my litmus test for everything in my own life, and in deciding what to write, read, engage with or listen to. Which politicians and civic leaders are motivated by love? Which companies and financial constructs are motivated by love? Which educational institutions are motivated by love? Which medical institutions are motivated by love? What written words uplift me or make me laugh with joy? What music sings to me?

The only bridge across any painful divide is finding something to love in the situation. I guess my prayer for today is, may I only speak words that uplift. And may I have the courage not to be "dis"couraged by mere words. Somehow underlying it all is a world trying to love more.