Sunday, July 31, 2016

I have only begun to write

The thirty-first of any month somehow always seems like a bonus. And when it falls on a Sunday, it feels like a peaceful add-on. This month, we need it more than ever.

The last few days have been rich for me. Something about finding a slightly new "energy" vis a vis events I wanted so dearly to attend in England has prompted a rash of new insights and understandings. I have to laugh at myself -- am I the only person in the world who measures "success," not by money or possessions or titles, but by what they understand? By my standards, this last year or so has been the most successful ever, and the last few weeks, perhaps the pinnacle. It may take months to write about it all; some of these realizations first came years ago but I didn't have the courage to articulate them publicly, and some of them are brand new. Events outside me are cooperating brilliantly, as if to underscore what I am learning.

On the cusp of the one-year anniversary of my first blog post, it would be tempting, in fact, to stop altogether. I love the tiny crowd of you who follow me regularly, but it is (with the exception of occasional "blips" on the little "stats" chart they provide me with) a small readership. It would be so tempting to say, "This is the Universe's way of telling me, Liz, give it up. Not enough readers and no income. What am I thinking?"

But that's the whole point of this last week, I guess. If there is one thing that surpasses even my powerful connection to the English choral tradition and its landscape, it is my need to understand the spiritual dimension of life in general and to write about what I learn. For the moment, this page is where I do that. This is where I am successful on my terms, even if no one reads my blog.

So my readers are the icing on the cake, kind of like a thirty-first of a month. Hang onto your hats, dear ones, because I have only begun to write.