Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Desire

Well, that’s a word to get your attention on a Tuesday morning!  And I’m not going to write about that kind of desire.  Lordy.  The day I do that, you’ll know I’ve turned a corner!

No, I’m talking about desire for anything.  The simplest things. 

I hope most of you haven’t had quite as extreme a journey as mine in this area, but perhaps you may resonate to some degree or another with one more area of self-editing: the erasing of desires almost before you even have a chance to feel them.

I’m not going to try to describe or explain all the threads I am untangling in this area, but in a nutshell, I’ve been living in Law of Attraction hell.  Who knows where it starts…but the perfect storm of feelings of lack, loss of a sense of a benevolent Divine, and misalignment with one’s real self, can wreak havoc on desire.  Early in your adulthood, you may think, “wow, that’s a nice coat” and buy it, but between student loans and only a modest salary, such purchases start to seem misguided.  So you start to train yourself, upon walking into nice department stores, only to buy things that are on sale.  As things deteriorate, you only buy things on sale occasionally.  Then, you stop going to nice department stores entirely, and only to the low end ones.  Then, you rarely shop even in those stores, relying on consignment shops and hand-me-downs from friends (God bless them!) Catalogues? Forget about it!  I’ve long since stopped receiving any, because the companies gave up on me.  It was literally unbearable for me to look at certain catalogues, because it didn’t matter whether items were $19.95 or $199.95, they were out of my price range.  I trained myself eventually not to even see beautiful clothes or jewelry or household goods, much less to desire them.  And, of course, the less you see or desire these things, the less you care whether you are part of the financial equation that might “earn” you enough to buy more (someday I’ll talk more about that equation, but not today.) 

For over 20 years, my wardrobe has consisted of trousers and a cotton shirt.  Sure, I usually own several of both, but it has become a uniform of sorts, much as I wore uniforms at my private schools in high school.  At any given moment, I have usually owned three pairs of footwear: sandals for summer, shoes for winter, and one pair of heavy snow boots.  I get my hair cut at discount salons, buy almost no cosmetics and the very basic pharmacy items (deodorant, dental care, shampoo), and, what?, the odd book or journal or impulse item.  My only concession to vanity has been earrings.  I rarely purchase them, but friends and family seem to have figured out my slightly quirky taste in drop earrings, and I love my little collection. 

If, and I truly believe Abraham-Hicks and other authors on this, the energy of the Universe, of life itself, is desire (the energy of growth, change, forward-movement), then I guess in a sense I have been a walking dead woman.  Well, let’s just say, “hibernating,” just barely breathing enough in the cave to stay alive.  Oh sure, I congratulated myself that I could survive on less than anyone I know (and often with the help of friends, my gratitude for which I can’t even express.) I congratulated myself that I was out Buddha-ing the Buddhists, and self-mortifying better than all the saints combined.  People talk about leaving a small footprint – I was leaving nearly no footprint.  I focused on natural beauty, and tried to be as good of an outdoorswoman as my friends in my northerly US homes, but it was all bogus.  I don’t much like the out-of-doors.  If this is all about telling the truth, that’s the truth.

Last year, when I was in Oxford, I visited the Ashmolean Museum.  I wandered around the entire museum, spending the most time in the medieval room.  But at some point I started to cry.  For years, between living in rural areas and not being able to afford the entrance fees to major museums when I was in a city, I rarely experienced great art in person.  To suddenly be in the presence of so much of the kind of beauty that I resonate with, in such a confined space – on the heels of having seen great sacred spaces such as St. Paul’s Cathedral, King’s College Chapel, and Gloucester Cathedral – was utterly overwhelming. 

As I go through this process of rebirth, a curious thing is happening.  OK, I still can’t seem to let even the smallest “desire” out of the box without quashing it.  Even a trip to a discount store sends me into an anxiety attack.  So I’m starting really, really modestly.  I’m just trying to casually ask myself open-ended queries.  “Gosh, what would it be like to get my hair cut at a really good salon?  What would it be like to wear a beautiful dress again?  What would it be like to wear (egad!) stockings?  Nice shoes?  Pearls, or expensive jewelry?  What would it be like to own a masterpiece, not have to paint one myself?  What would it be like to have a lovely home?”  It still terrifies me to want such things openly, because I can almost hear the message “you can’t afford that” and the click-click-click of desires being shut down.  So by gently asking myself how these things would feel, and vaguely experiencing a warm, happy feeling, I’m trying (as a starting point) to just allow a tiny little source of oxygen into the cave, and to start breathing that oxygen in.  It is the oxygen of life for me, the desire to be surrounded by (and create) a certain kind of beauty and sense of abundance, and not breathing it in brought me close to death. I can’t even begin to know how it will happen, but at least this blurry image of me looking gorgeous and surrounded by beautiful art and architecture gives me a starting point as I look forward to Act Two!