Friday, October 2, 2015

Today

There were several potential topics in my mind today, and yet the national news kind of threw them into the gusty autumn wind.  In light of my last blog, about my passion for thinking and writing, I have to say I am a tiny bit overwhelmed today by the fact that I am writing for the world to see.  Suddenly, the floodgates are opening and there is so much I want to say.  Today's essay could be thousands of words long.  At the same time, I feel speechless...

Yesterday, I happened to read an essay by Elizabeth Gilbert in O Magazine (September 2015 issue.)  She's the author of Eat, Pray, Love and was discussing the decisions you make as a writer/memoirist about what to include in your writing.  She said, "The choices matter because your history is whatever you choose to tell about yourself."  Some days that choice is easy, some days, I'm learning, it isn't.  I try to hold the process in the light every time I write.  When necessary, there will be days of silence, or just a short written "ponder." This blog is literally like starting a new history.  This weekend will be an excellent opportunity to practice facing forward, and standing inwardly and outwardly tall, as the world, the trees and the leaves swirl and dance in the wind.

  ,