Thursday, October 22, 2015

Gratitude


Having an “attitude of gratitude” is something I lost track of for a long time, if I had ever had it at all.  How mortifying to admit this, but it is true.

But over the last few years, slowly but surely, it has become a regular part of my life, even at moments when most people might not have seen much to warrant it.  It started the day that I drove the two-plus hour drive down the Northway to Albany to hear a concert of the music I love, by an English choir.  I had debated and debated about whether to attend, thinking that this phase of my life was long since over.  But having made the decision to go, I just said over and over, as I drove through the budding trees in the Adirondack Mountains: “I am thankful to be going to this concert.  I am thankful to the conductor. I am thankful to the choir.  I am thankful that I sang this music thirty years ago.  I am thankful to all the composers of this music. I am thankful for this tradition.  I am thankful to my car, which will get me to the concert safely.”  This mantra intensified on the trip home, with a new CD playing in the player, and me alternatively sobbing, singing along, and saying, “I am thankful.”  What an extraordinary journey has ensued!

I feel like an ancient goddess who for some reason left many of her children by the side of the road and, waking up to the wrongness of that, goes backward down the road and, one by one, picks them up into her loving arms and cries with gratitude that they are still there.  It’s a miracle, it’s something to be thankful for, even when your feet are tired and your arms aren’t as strong as they used to be, even when you can’t quite articulate who it is that you are grateful to.  You are still grateful.  And once they are all back in your arms, you face forward again and walk into the future, finally smiling. Finally, no longer bereft.

Right now, I am helping a friend ready her home to put on the market.  My days are filled with painting walls, cleaning windows, sorting out things for sale, recycling, the dump…all those decisions.  It feels oddly aligned to my purpose right now.  If I’m committed to anything other than my own rebirth, it is to other women my age who are renewing themselves.  Many of us are going through this process in some form or another. New houses. New careers or expressions of passion. Retirement. Newly single. I am thankful for a roof over my head as it gets colder, healthy food, and time to write, vision, and to share notes with you on this whole process.  I am grateful to be a woman of the 20th and 21st century, not the 17th or 12th century.  As much as there has been no real roadmap for being an independent woman, fully self-actualizing, at least I have had the freedom to stumble down that road my own way, without having decisions made for me by others.  And today, with the news on my mind, I think of the refugees in Europe and pray, not just for their bare bones survival, but that as many of them as possible can move beyond survival to finding their highest alignment to who they really are.  Somewhere on this hard road they are on, women and men, may they find a measure of peace.

So, the paint bucket beckons…blessings this weekend, all! And thank you.