Thursday, December 17, 2015

Comfort and Joy

The next two weeks are the holiest ones of the year for me.

It isn't, I'm afraid, because of the birth of a savior 2,000 years ago.  Even as a child, I could not quite grasp why we were not all considered "holy children." And I don't get the notion of needing a savior -- all in all, I think humans are extraordinary.  I can't explain my passion for cathedrals and Lessons and Carols services, and the music, mythology, architecture and imagery of my particular heritage, except that they bring me joy and are an expression of joy that seems to transcend doctrine.  It's a mystery.  But not the whole reason for my late-December bliss.

Solstice makes this time of year holy for many people.  I often attend solstice events and appreciate it as an alternative, focusing on this dark time as a gift of nature, and an expression of a more female aspect of the Divine.  But I haven't found a permanent spiritual home in these practices, and the other major world religions and traditions don't resonate with me in the least.  As far as I know, New Thought/Law of Attraction teachers don't attribute any special significance to late December.

And it's not about Christmas shopping.  Except for a few years in my 20's, I've rarely had any money to spend on presents.  The whole commercialization of the season has completely passed me by.  If someone were to thrust $1,000 into my hands today, and say "go, buy some presents," I wouldn't know where to start.  I'd need someone along to help me.  Clearly if we're all spiritual beings having a physical experience, I've been a bit slow at the latter part (!) This may not be the right venue to do it, but I apologize to all my friends and family for the fact that I have given so few presents over the years. It is my intention to be a bit more grounded, and material, in Act Two!  I know that many people find joy in shopping, and the giving and receiving of material things, and I'd like to open my heart to learn how to experience that.

So that leaves us back at square one.  Why are these weeks holy?  I think it's because the darkness is so mysterious and rich.  It's the one moment of the year when our connection to this whole endless expanse of universe seems most powerful.  The Christmas lights, the candles on the table, link us to the stars.  The light does shine in the darkness, and "the darkness comprehend[s] it not."

It is the time when I truly do feel "tidings of comfort and joy."  Comfort, from finally understanding (in my head, at least) that all is good, all is love.  The little children who shook with fear over the epic struggle of good versus evil can come out now.  The struggle is over.  We can start to breathe now. 

Joy is the heart part of the equation, when you feel in your heart the all-encompassing love. I still only feel joy for short moments from time to time, but at least now I know what it is, and am beginning to know how to extend the moments out.  Joy just seems more accessible in this dark, snowy, breath-taking moment of the year.

Maybe if my moments of joy, reasons for joy, and expression of joy can overlap for just a few days with your moments of joy, reasons for joy, and expression of joy, the world will become a better place.  Maybe when we hear the carols and the peals of bells, then look out at the twinkling stars, we can imagine that they are singing back at us.