Monday, December 7, 2015

Intuition

As has happened several times recently, there was another blog post planned for today, and yet it’s an active moment and I’m going to take a different path.  I sense, intuitively, that it’s the right thing to do.

And so, that’s the topic.  An online popularized version of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator was sent to me a few days ago.  Initially, I thought, why take this again?  I’ve done it several times, and always get the same result – Introvert and Extravert almost equal 50-50, Intuitive, Feeling, Perceiving.  But I had never done an online version of this, and while it wasn’t the official Myers-Briggs assessment, I tried it.  Nothing has changed over the years, except one thing.  On this particular assessment, my “intuitive” score was 85, and my “sensing” one a mere 15.  I’ve seen so many different wordings of what this means, but I think what it basically reveals is my natural tendency to address the world via my inner guidance rather than via what I am seeing and experiencing on the outside.  I spent most of the day yesterday trying to take in what it means to operate that intuitively. 

I mean, it didn’t surprise me.  Almost everything I do really well, I do quickly and intuitively, and usually without instructions.  Mix colors/paint.  Sight read music, harmonize, or sing along with music I have never heard before. Cook with no recipe. Create needlework and other crafts without patterns. Writing this blog is highly intuitive. Back when I was at Smith, I practiced about an hour a day for my senior organ recital, while friends were practicing hours and hours.  The recital went brilliantly.  When I follow my intuition and values, timings can work out almost magically; the downside is that such a journey may appear disorderly, even chaotic, to some, and routines and structures easily become boring for me.  My way of functioning is that, when I reach a crossroad, I decide on the next step based on my gut feeling of what would lead to the deepest learning experience.  Almost inevitably, when people suggest that I “get serious and work on a life plan,” I burst into tears.  The suggestion is so contrary to my way of operating, it causes me physical pain.  However, I understand that the reverse is also true, that my way of operating causes many people at the least, perplexity and irritation. Our culture is based on a slow, step-by-step, goal-oriented and institutionalized model, one that is almost literally impossible for some of us.  Intuitive and introverted people can easily become hermits in order to escape this paradigm, a path that even tempts me from time to time. 

So at this particular crossroad, what do I “do” with finding out that my intuitive side is potentially even stronger than I thought?  Life coaches say to work with your strengths, not at cross purposes to them.  I know that even though I have largely operated in alignment with my strengths, I’ve also carried a huge amount of shame, assuming that being me was “wrong.”  Ridiculous. Unsuccessful.  I mean, it has often seemed to be all those things.  I can see why I have often tried to undo my own natural leanings.

However, all of the 16 Myers Briggs “types” are considered equally valid, and I have to assume that the answer now, more than ever, as I have been concluding for months, is to be more fully me.  Look within for guidance more and more.  Follow my intuitive leadings more quickly.  Love and respect that inner wisdom, and operate from it ever more fully.  As an introvert, spend as much time as possible alone, thinking, writing, researching, creating – then attend that cocktail party or art opening, or communal music making experience, and lead by example. Let my extravert out from time to time. Feel my feelings and express my perspective on the human condition, and, as a “P,” stay open and flexible.  Love myself and the way I am, and stop fighting her.  I am the way I am for a reason, as we all are!
I needed to "buck myself up" today for a reason...my next blog will be on my favorite topic and greatest challenge, money.  If I announce that to you today, I cannot chicken out!