Saturday, February 20, 2016

Goosebumps

Almost ninety posts into this blog, I’m beginning to forget exactly what I have said, and when.  So please forgive me if today’s offering goes over any old ground. 

Until a few years ago, my “wires” were totally crossed.  I had spent decades and decades trying to like things and places I really didn’t like, and trying to avoid the things and places I did.  I was blessed to have encountered such wonderful people and learned so many life lessons, in unlikely places.  And yet the “desert” of Montana was the final straw – it was so clearly wrong for me on so many levels that I had no choice but to start the tedious, and sometimes confusing and hard, task of getting the wires (“what I love” and “what I don’t love”) back onto their respective spools.  Like a child in a fairy tale, I slowly learned to follow the crumbs (clues) of “what I love,” and walk in the opposite direction of what I don’t.
There seems to be an interesting thing happening right now; the momentum of the process is picking up.  More and more things that I love and that fascinate me are literally coming to me.  I’m not actively seeking them out, exactly, it’s just that I see them on Facebook or they come in the mail.  Yesterday, a late birthday gift came to me from England, a photo book about English country churches.  At first, I couldn’t even look at it, because the sense of attraction to its images was so strong.  My old impulse is to look (and move) away from what I love.  But yesterday, I forced myself to leaf through it, and I got goosebumps viewing the pictures.  Now, what is this?  It isn’t exactly a religious thing of wishing to worship in these spaces.  And most of the churches pictured are too small to be a venue for my beloved choral evensong services.  Yet there is something about the architecture of these buildings in their landscape that just sends powerful shivers down my spine, as if this book is part of a key to where I am headed (literally and/or figuratively.) 

Then online only hours later, I saw a link to an article in The Atlantic, “Mapping the Acoustics of Ancient Spaces,” and got goosebumps again.  This is about several scholars who have been trying to make sense of how chanting sounded centuries ago in Byzantine churches, and how that resonance interacted with the visual artwork in the sacred spaces.  With my dual art and music degrees (including my master’s in early Christian chant), my whole body was buzzing.  Does this mean that I will be pursuing academic work in this area, or writing, or just travelling?  Is it about Herbert Howells' music and future writing about it, or starting a multidisciplinary creative work? I don’t know yet.  This whole process of remaining magnetic and attractive, not proactive, is new to me, and yet it is working, so I resisted the temptation to send off emails and do a lot of research, at least for the moment.  As these clues get closer and closer together, I feel like a unique contribution to the world is beginning to appear out of the mist.  I cannot even begin to imagine how this contribution will support me financially, but I cannot let even that stop this process.  Concern about money has sent me down the wrong road too many times before.  Instead, my “currency” will be the electric current of joy, the thrill of discovering that passion is still alive in me.  With just a little more receptivity, I’ll know without a shadow of a doubt how to proceed with it.