Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Leadership

St. Thomas Church Fifth Avenue has just chosen a new director of music (organist/choirmaster.) I don't know Daniel Hyde, but I had a brief correspondence with him several years ago in connection with my Herbert Howells research, and he has the quintessential background to take up this prestigious post.  He looks like a great choice, and I wish him every success.  There’s been another fascinating announcement in the music world, that Mirza Grazinyte-Tyla will be the new conductor of the City of Birmingham (UK) Symphony Orchestra.  This young Lithuanian woman (thirty years old!) has the most expressive, musical, joyful, exciting presence on the podium – you must look her up online.  I almost swooned with pride, and that disorienting feeling that even I experience (child of the fifties that I am) seeing a woman conducting in a top venue.

It got me thinking about conducting, and the form of leadership it represents.  About fifty years ago, if you had asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would have said (as perhaps I’ve mentioned before) that I wanted to be the first woman conductor of the Choir of King’s College, Cambridge.  So far, there hasn’t been a woman conductor (yet!)  Something I haven’t explored enough is the impulse that this represented – to lead.  I mean, here I was, aged ten, and something in me had the confidence to believe I could direct one of the world’s finest choirs.  I had the confidence to believe that when I spoke, the choir would listen, and when I gave a downbeat, they would sing.  That confidence soon dissipated, but didn’t die entirely.  There is a leader in me.  Until now, when I have tried to “rally the troops” in a few select situations, I have been unsuccessful.  The troops, as it were, have not always wanted to be rallied, at least by me.  I have too often forgotten to remind myself that this just means these are not the people I am meant to lead. It does not mean I am not a leader!
So there is something in this leadership equation that brings together a person with a certain set of talents with the people that need – and want! -- a leader with that skill set.  And while orchestral conductors may find some success with church choirs and vice versa, the fact is that a leader’s best success will come in the field of their true passion.  A leading heart surgeon would not necessarily make a great CEO, a great CEO would not necessarily make a great college professor, etc.  Many of my friends insist they would never want to lead, so it has surprised me that I do.  Yet I could never fake enthusiasm for random leadership positions in organizations that really didn’t mean anything to me. Of course, that also made me a poor employee.

These few months of “intermission” have forced me to really identify what now “means anything to me.”  I was more than half a century ahead of my time in a field that wasn’t ready for me. That is just how it was, and probably is exactly the journey I signed up for in this lifetime.  And in the intervening years, my path has been surprisingly hard, not what I ever wanted or expected.  While I have managed the last few years to go back and pick up some of the lost threads, the fact is, I not only could not return to the late sixties and start seriously training to become “the first woman conductor” at King’s, I would not want to. Too many other experiences, places and people have formed me into a different whole.
At the moment, the only passion I can clearly identify is my passion for having survived this journey, and my desire to communicate all its lessons, which I have started doing in this blog.  But I envision a more active leadership role growing out of this, above and beyond being Liz Lavish, writing checks!  I am not quite sure who wants the leadership of a pioneering woman English church musician, artist, mystic, anglophile and writer who has been broken over and over and over again by life yet has not given up.  I am not quite sure who needs the insights of a cutting edge “out there” spiritual thinker who is the product of high church Anglicanism.  I am not quite sure who wants the leadership of a wise, super well-educated woman who never married or had children, and has been homeless and spectacularly nonfunctional in “normal American life.”  These paradoxes are what I bring to leadership.  I am not quite sure who my choir is.  But in about three weeks my wonderful current living situation is ending, and I will be stepping out into the world again with my baton in hand, ready to conduct.  And can you believe it? I walk out in the assurance that there will be a “choir” gathering in the choir stalls!