Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Three days

I don’t think it’s on account of turning 60, per se.  I think it’s on account of having been blessed since fall to have been in a home where I could catch up with an almost unreal level of inner and outer changes.  In any event, in the three days since my birthday, it seems like an awful lot has “happened,” inwardly.

The first is that the other morning I woke up and started to cry.  For someone who barely cried the first half of her life at all, I’ve certainly done a lot of it the last year or two.  And yet this was interesting.  It was not crying because of something wrong, or out of fear or grief.  It’s like I had reached a moment perhaps six months to a year from now where I am safe and sound in the home and place of my choosing, surrounded by love and the music I love, and I could let go and cry.  It has been a traumatic journey, really, no matter how I try to understate it.  I recognize that on a deep level I chose it for my soul’s growth.  But even ignoring many of the factors that I’ve mentioned before, the fact is that being a woman alone in this world is no picnic, no matter what the specifics of your life may be.  And most of these sixty years, not only did I not believe that “the Universe was on my side” – I think I actively believed that Life was thwarting me at every turn.  I had internalized the energy of a human battering ram, fighting tooth and nail just to live to see another day. 
And in the blink of an eye, I have moved beyond that.  There is no material proof of that, of course, but it’s an inner shift.  I can feel it.  “The strife is o’er.”  Perhaps it’s just battle fatigue.  I can’t “fight” any more, be it for love, attention, validation or even bare bones survival.  I feel like I have simply stopped the frantic rowing, and am letting the stream take my boat where it was meant to go in the first place.

Yet this shift unleashed a soup of memories wanting attention.  “Remember how traumatic this was?” “Remember how hard that was?” “Remember how you almost didn’t make it on this occasion?”  Remember, remember, remember… For the better part of a day I was sucked into my hardest memories.  In a strange way, these memories and events have been my most loyal companions on the path.  They are afraid of being released and rejected, and I understand that.  I bless them.  But my head and my heart also understand that it’s time to unlock those chains and move forward.  My intellect is gently taking me in hand and saying, “Why are you revisiting this when it feels so bad?  Why are you revisiting this when it makes your heart hurt?”  
Indeed.  It’s so simple. As humans, we’ve been trained to focus on the negative.  It is not an easy process to start to focus on love, joy, passion, the future and what you love.  Trauma is so addicting.  It has taken me five or six years to break the addiction.  But it’s happened.  I finally realize that when it feels bad, it is bad for me, so I must focus on something else.  I can’t even perseverate on the election campaign crisis, the climate crisis, the refugee crisis, or the world’s traumas in any form right now.  Even one second of attention to all these things, one second of “righteous indignation,” brings my inner battering ram back to life, and all it does is batter me in the end.  As I head into Act II, all I seem to know is that I must focus exclusively on the highest level of love and trust I am capable of, and hope that the ripple effects of this will go out toward the rest of the world.

The last realization came last night as I looked in the mirror.  I did that thing that they say you should do, really look yourself in the eye.  I’ve always found that to be excruciatingly hard, and have always looked away.  And yet, this time I was able to do it.  Yes, my mind’s eye could certainly “see” what the world may see right now, but for the first time that I can remember, those opinions literally melted away and all I saw was this confident, beautiful being, ready for the next stretch of river.  I smiled at “her” and was proud of her.  I loved her.  Yes, I love her, present tense.  And I believe that the Divine loves her too and will work on her behalf.  From this point forward, that is the only opinion that matters.  
An eventful three days.