Saturday, February 13, 2016

Sixty

When I started this blog last August, I was fifty-nine and a half.  The moment has come...today I am sixty!  It is surreal. I don't know what I see in the mirror, but it's definitely not sixty.  But then I look at video footage of the fashions, cars, houses, and institutions of America in the mid-1950's when I was born, and I realize, yup, this isn't surreal, it's for real!  I was born in another world, another era. 

There are so many things to say, but it's the weekend, so I just want to express appreciation.  I appreciate being alive.  I appreciate being healthy.  I appreciate having such a clear sense, now, of who I am.  I appreciate clarity, finally "getting" a lot of things.  I appreciate uncrossing crossed wires.  I appreciate future possibilities for fun, creativity, leadership, self-expression, love, abundance and joy.  I appreciate knowing that my unique niche for those things will never look like anyone else's.  I appreciate my friends.  I appreciate dogs and cats.  I appreciate living in a world full of surprises.  I appreciate the perfection of everything that has ever happened to me, "good" and "bad."  I appreciate all my spiritual teachers, in so many different guises.  I appreciate being part of a loving stream of life.  I appreciate that at any second, I have the power to choose to be happier.  I appreciate beauty.  I appreciate miracles and wonder.  I appreciate synchronicity and serendipity.  I appreciate how far I have come.  I appreciate that I have graduated from Act I, and am heading into Act II.  I appreciate this rebirth.  I appreciate that I am a new person from even a year or two ago.  I appreciate the possibilities.  I appreciate that there are no "shoulds."  I appreciate that I finally understand that "The Universe is on my side."  Most of all, I appreciate that in the 1950's, there is no way on earth that I could have envisioned the path I would follow, the challenges I would face, the world we live in now, or the woman I would eventually become.  And, of course, that means that the next sixty years (who knows? It's possible!) has the potential to be even more extraordinary, occasionally more surreal, and even more serendipitous.  I wouldn't want it any other way.