Friday, March 25, 2016

Fast-moving river

Despite what I said the other day, it seems clear that throwing myself into a new "stretch of river" will provide much to write about, and that you may hear from me somewhat more often. 

It wasn't until last night after supper that I turned on British TV, and the coverage of Brussels, the first I've seen.  What struck me was the intense emotion of it.  I'm sure hundreds of authors have analyzed better than I ever could the different perspective Americans have on events in most of the world.  Our physical distance makes it easier to observe, not participate, unless we actively choose to.  U.S. news reporters speaking of these fast-moving events in Europe and elsewhere sound concerned.  Reporters here sound way beyond "concerned."  They are not looking at events, they are in the midst of them.  However tenuous, Europe as a construct means relationship, and everyone over here is in the midst of trying to find a way to be "in relationship" -- a whole different set of relationships than perhaps we in America put our energies into. 

As I build up the courage to write about anything publicly, much less the meaning behind current events, it may be inevitable that my American impulse to stay at a distance stays in place for the time being.  But on this Good Friday, I am just trying to remind myself of my belief that we are eternal beings "having a human experience." (I've heard a number of spiritual teachers say those words, so I'm not quite sure who to cite.) If I am such a proponent of people finding their true work and worth, it's in part because we don't know what our earthly future will bring at any given moment, so let's not put it off! Today, after two days of hearing some of the most glorious church music imaginable, I am actually going to attend the noon service at a smaller parish church with a non-professional choir.  It may be just the right place to be reminded in an unadorned fashion that, in the end, there is no death.  Physically present or not, we will always be part of that fast-moving river.