Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Today, I love my life

It's finally happening.  I'm finally reaching the point where I'm enjoying the process almost as much as the results.  It took a long time, but there's nothing like being on a "new stretch of river" to liberate that old part of you that was focusing on specific results.  The results never quite come out exactly as you plan anyway, do they?  I'm liking the concept of this new stretch of river...even though the sailor in me finds it a bit linear.  But for the moment, I'm committed to this powerfully flowing waterway, and will just simply love as much of the process as I can.  It's been a while since things moved quickly -- so when fears arise about that, I guess the trick is to stay calm, keep focused, and let the boat and the river do the major work.

Last night, I went to a great concert: Patty Griffin, Sara Watkins and Anais Mitchell.  What was fun was that they collaborated, singing with and accompanying each other.  They have rather different styles, and it was a process for them of branching out and growing with each other.  I particularly loved Sara's fiddle playing and plaintive, powerful voice.  I can't help it.  I love it when women find their niches and live them (and sing them) literally and visibly on stage! My oldest friend from childhood has been doing this kind of singing her whole life, and is such a heroine for me.  Sometimes I think that the world could be transformed overnight just by one man or woman singing over the chaos.  Perhaps a man and woman singing together would be ideal...

The northeast is transitioning from rather frigid but dry into warm and dry.  It's early for spring here, so no doubt more blizzards are coming.  But the melting is happening within this year, and I welcome it.  Today, I love my life.