Tuesday, August 2, 2016

New Moon Thoughts

The new moon signifies new beginnings, and making intentions for the next month. In a "normal" time, this would be important. In a time that it's almost impossible to find words for ("astonishing"?), it is crucial. I approached today with the sense of freedom having come from shaking off a number of lifelong bonds in recent months. And not too surprisingly, spiritual housecleaning has brought me out towards the center of the river, where the water runs fast. I'm nearly being swamped with insights, ideas, and realizations, leaving me antsy and extremely restless, but hanging on to the tiller for dear life. It's time for new intellectual and material challenges, yet the old things I love are still on board with me. I feel I am readying for something enormous. I prayed this morning to all the powers that be, "This water is running fast and I've expanded. Please help me to know how to stay this course, and share what I am learning."

I pulled two oracle cards from two different decks: Shaman, and The Sun. My interpretation of this? That I must continue to try to align with Source, find and express love wherever I can, and live between realities (and in paradox) as successfully as possible -- and be fearless transmuting my pain into expressions of light and clarity. I sense that we are heading into a time of such monumental change that human life and societal constructs may be nearly unrecognizable 20 or 30 years from now. I've been living largely outside the accepted paradigm for almost that long, and I just have to hope that at some point, people will start to see me as a powerful resource. Until then, I will continue to play out my wonky variation on the pattern of the medieval holy women I admire. In the end, today's new beginning isn't about breaking with the past, just continuing the spiral upward, and continuing to incorporate a vast, diverse wealth of spiritual resources.

The other day, I happened upon a marvelous image, a spoof on the Peanuts character Lucy's advice stand ("The Doctor is In.") Instead of Lucy, a cartoon medieval nun is pictured in a lemonade stand that says, "Advice 5 cents -- The Anchoress is In." I'm, like, "that is so me." No, I still haven't gotten up the courage to open this blog up to comments and questions. My life is still on such fragile footing that I just can't quite do it. But for me to live my own prayer will mean being more fully in dialogue. I know that. I suspect by the next new moon, ideas will begin coming to me about how to do that in a way that feels right.