Friday, September 18, 2015

Eddies


Autumn, this year, seems to be coming late to the Northeast.  Leaves are still green, the air is warm, and although the quality of the light is changing, the cloudless blue skies are belying the calendar.  Or trying to. 

On the Liz path, there is, once again, a certain surreal quality to yet another fall in yet another “eddy.”  It’s beautiful in Northern New York, and in so many ways, I’m in a far more comfortable stopping point than the last few Septembers.  Looking back, I realize that for the last five years, early fall has tended to find me “gearing up” for a new foray into English church music, from a home and/or work situation that was, like an eddy by the side of a rapidly flowing river, kind of improbable, unsettled and relatively still.  Each of these eddies had seemed like dead ends in and of themselves, circling and spiraling around seemingly without purpose, and yet each made possible – because of their temporary nature – a winter musical experience that I would have been unlikely to be able to “go for” if I had been more settled or tied down.  Most people would understandably be alarmed by undertaking this kind of moment-to-moment journey in their 50’s, but I was more alarmed by the notion of not doing it.  I knew that if I were to have any significant experiences in this field, it had to happen now.  And I guess I grasped that, while there might be some rhyme or reason to how it all turned out, there also might not be, and I just had to go for it.  I had not followed the normal path that men had done for generations, so all bets were off anyway!

The dream?  A singing position as a “lay clerk” in an English cathedral or an American equivalent; and/or to make a name for myself in the more scholarly branch of the field with my Herbert Howells articles; and/or possibly to get into a PhD program in England based on my Howells studies.  If these three intersecting worlds might be said to be banquet tables, my efforts these last few years have yielded dramatic yet not lasting results, kind of as if – from behind a barrier -- I snatched one or two extraordinary morsels of food, the best food I’ve ever eaten, but have not been able to sit down to the main meal.  I sang for nine months in the mixed men and women’s choir at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York (approximately one choral evensong a week – a thrill!), I sang a “dream” evensong service in England, was one of the first women ever to audition for an English cathedral choir, saw and heard girls and women singing in English university and cathedral choirs, got to know some prominent English church musicians, and published articles that I hoped would “wow” the music field, but essentially seem to have dropped like quiet pebbles into a still pond.  If these sound like modest accomplishments, they really aren’t.  If you had asked me in 2010 if any of this would have been possible, I would have said, no way on earth!  And when I was younger and the field was entirely male, even envisioning such experiences would have been considered delusional.  So this time period has been magical and fast flowing, punctuated by quiet eddies by the side of the stream where the water seemed to flow backwards for a time.

This year’s eddy, however, has a decidedly different quality to it.  Five years ago I was 54, and now I am 59.  The difference is really monumental.  It has to do with both energy level and goals.  There’s not much I have to tell any of you over 55 about energy!  Goal-wise, I realize that there is nothing further that I need to prove to myself.  I know that I have the passion, the talent and the intellectual capacity to have been successful in some branch of this field had it been open to me 40 years ago, or if I had had a different level of confidence.  If I had doubts about that earlier in my life, now I don’t.  And so today, I don’t feel the need to “pursue” these opportunities any more, or to push the river.  It’s OK.  Younger women and men will take the lead now. There may be opportunities in the future for summer singing at English cathedrals, but my bigger goal right now, as I head into my sixties, is becoming settled and content.  The difference is, I honor my passion for English church music and everything English (literature, art, music, history, landscape, movies, architecture, humor…) and don’t intend this time to run away, as I did in my late 20’s.  That is the stream of my life.  And as I find myself in this fall’s eddy by the side of the stream, my job is to find that little surge of life that will take me downstream – and release the urge to fight or control it!