Monday, November 23, 2015

Bittersweet

The other night, I had a very disorienting moment.  Perhaps it is on account of those little drips of divine love that I have finally allowed into my inner being.  They are sloshing around way at the bottom of the barrel, but are beginning to be noticeable.  Maybe it’s the “hundredth monkey” effect, where seven or eight years of Law of Attraction reading has finally taken hold.

But suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, I understood the theoretical possibility of experiencing the “sweet” not weighed down with the “bitter.”  Just for a moment, mind you, but long enough to completely upend me.
I don’t think there’s any doubt about it.  I’ve been addicted to the bittersweet.  I have always assumed that steps forward would be accompanied by steps backward.  That happiness had an alarm clock wired up to it (“OK, girl, you’ve got three minutes, grab as much as you can before uncertainty returns.”) That dreams coming true would always be accompanied by homelessness or poverty.  Passion would always be accompanied by rejection or solitude.  Accomplishment would always be accompanied by crushing debt.  People who were pleasant on the surface were rage-filled underneath, etc.  A lasting, unadulterated sense of joy, love, happiness or power was literally inconceivable, and so, of course, because you cannot experience what you cannot conceive of, I never experienced them.  Indeed, it was my impression that bittersweetness was a universal reality – I looked as reference at all the people who die two weeks after they retire.  Fall in love, then receive a cancer diagnosis.  Work like dogs to get a little bit ahead, then receive a huge medical bill. 

And much of our literature is based on a poignant, “tragic” construct, from Romeo and Juliet to The Gift of the Magi.  Some of our most potent religious beliefs twin the bitter with the sweet.  And look at creative masterpieces of art, music and drama.  My favorite composer?  Herbert Howells.  Hello?  Has there ever been music more wrenchingly, achingly, gorgeously, bittersweet?
Years ago, I tried to articulate my own life philosophy, to frame things without traditional language.  I’m proud of my efforts and process.  But let’s just say that, even there, in what I hoped was a new idea, I could not conceive of “joy” that was free to float upward without a tragedy “tether.” 

We are human.  We are always going to experience what Abraham-Hicks calls “contrast.”  It is an inevitable part and parcel of being on this planet, and it is necessary to spur desire, creativity, and growth.  But what I don’t think I understood until the other night was, energetically, how different pure joy is from bittersweetness.  Even one fleeting moment where I didn’t wait for the other shoe to drop was enough to have forever changed my landscape, both inner and outer.  The freedom was breathtaking but so powerful that I could see why most of us quickly grab for the nearest dead weight!  Books make it sound easy to focus on the positive, but when bittersweet is the highest experience you’ve ever had, you don’t really know what pure positive is.
What this one moment will mean for life going forward, I don’t know, but it has sure thrown me for a loop. I am thankful for it, though, and for the new, higher perspective it will surely bring.