Monday, November 9, 2015

Focusing


Many years ago, when I was studying at Parsons School of Design, I took a colored pencil course.  You might think that colored pencil would be an easy medium, but it is surprisingly tricky.  Anyway, that particular afternoon, when we walked into the classroom, it was partially darkened so that we would concentrate on an image being projected onto a screen in the front.  The image consisted of blurry areas of color, splotches, really.  At first I thought the teacher had inadvertently neglected to put the slide into focus, but soon I grasped that he had left it blurry on purpose.  He asked us to reproduce what we were seeing, using colored pencils.

I’m sure I thought, “no biggie,” and proceeded in a relaxed way to try to reproduce these beautiful, shimmering areas of color.  And initially, that seemed to be what the whole assignment was going to be about.  Yet probably about five minutes into the exercise, I started to notice that each time I looked up, the image appeared to be getting slightly sharper.  Indeed, I finally watched as our professor inconspicuously touched the “focus” button about every two or three minutes.  In about half an hour, the image reached full clarity, and our sketches overall were quite powerful, in part because we had responded initially only to areas of shading and color, without being distracted by detail.  As we added detail, it was supported more richly than if we had seen the image (I believe it was a Manet still life) clearly from the start.

I guess you have figured out that I like metaphors, and it is dawning on me that this art exercise is a perfect metaphor for my last few years, having started with an extremely blurry image, and begun, piece by piece, to “draw” it, as it slowly came into focus.  Moments of furious creative activity have been followed by days, even months of “processing” the updated picture.  Each time I pause, things begin to look sharper.

Most recently, the Danielle LaPorte book was so honest and direct that I was forced to confront how I continue to almost deliberately and fearfully shy from my own identity, leaving my picture blurry.  After years of “trying” to be many wonderful things, my real passions (writing/research; England; English church music; women’s spirituality; English history, art, spiritual history, etc.) came into sharper focus than ever.  A few days of “processing” later, I started work on the collage, which presented this material quite differently but more visually and somewhat more powerfully.  After that, there were several more days of processing, and then this past weekend was another turn of the focus wheel…I joined an academic online group whose topic aligns with a growing area of interest and research for me.  I then got up the courage to order two inexpensive used books that are relevant to the kind of writing I may soon be doing…why it still requires courage to do these things, I don’t know.  When you are trying to bring focus to decades of blurriness, each step, each placement of pencil to paper, is scary.

The picture that is emerging is slightly off target from the traditional path for someone who loves English church music.  That’s OK.  My journey always was, as a young woman of my generation. That’s why things got so blurry in the first place. I am thrilled this morning to learn that a young American woman has been named an Organ Scholar at an English cathedral, one of the first women and, I am quite sure, the first American woman to do so.  Wow. A lot has changed in 40 years…

But my picture, sixty years in the making, will look nothing like hers, even though we share the same passion.  It is made up of a whole wider set of colors and experiences which, in the end, I am glad I had. Each time I put my head down and creatively process my emerging path, the unseen “teacher” seems to be sharpening up the image.  When I look up, I’m seeing more and more that interests me and delights me, and seeing it more clearly – my own personal life masterpiece.  The more I focus on abstracts like joy and happiness and color and abundance, the more the details are presenting themselves, before my very eyes…