Tuesday, November 3, 2015

My New Resume


OK, so about a week ago I finished Danielle LaPorte’s Fire Starter book.  I am still reeling from the power of it, and so thankful to have had it brought to my attention.  However, it ended before I had quite made sense of how to incorporate all my new revelations into a cohesive whole, a brand or career to carry forward into the world.

Of course, in the end, there haven’t really been any “new” revelations at all.  I have just run out of excuses (and fears).  A book like LaPorte’s simply gives energetic iteration to the message all of us have heard in a million guises: “be yourself.”  And yet those of us who, for whatever reason, have crammed that self into a tiny box, sealed it tight and hoped to be tossed into a trash bin somewhere – people like us need to read such books regularly for a constant reminder. As the energetic “hit” of the last page of an excellent book starts to fade, I can feel myself starting to slink off to find my old box.  That Greek Chorus of negativity starts to sing: “other people can be themselves but you cannot”; “there is no modern job or career that fits your passion and your journey, so forget it”; “everyone else is miserable in their job.  What makes you so special?”; “if you haven’t figured it out by 59-and-three-quarters, you’re a goner.”

One of the things that really strikes me is the utter and total disconnect between the material that this book evoked from me, and my resume.  The latter is too traditional, and I know that.  It has been utterly inadequate at doing anything but represent the bare bones of what I’ve done: my degrees, and the highlights of my work life at Time Magazine, teaching, running a small art association, and office work/data entry.  (What my resume does not highlight are my many experiences in retail, waitressing, dishwashing, ice-cream scooping, house- and pet-sitting, and everything I have done just to try to stay alive in recent years.)  This traditional resume long ago ceased to be effective at expressing who I am or what I am capable of, perhaps because I had lost touch with those things myself.  It barely gets me jobs of any kind any more, and it is confusing, even to me, and feels “dead.”  It represents 35 years of exile and hibernation.  So to go from the high of LaPorte’s book to thinking about my resume was demoralizing in the extreme.  I almost got out the packing tape to seal my little box up and set it out there with the garbage, again.

Fortunately, the artist in me chose that moment to kick into high gear and breathe a little life into the process. I knew I needed to make a collage.  Not a “slap a few words and pictures on some cardboard” collage, but a big, complex, self-portrait of me and my passions.  It took nearly a week, but when I stood back and looked at it, it was, like, “this is me, and hell, is she extraordinary!”  I realized that this is my resume!  This is who I am!

So many potential blog topics come to mind:  the soul-deadening aspect of trying to get a job with a written list of accomplishments; the feminist and artistic implications of a “right brain” person not functioning in a left brain world (creatively, I can do both equally well, but clearly the right brain/artistic/musical/mystical/spontaneous piece is how I really operate); the inadequacy of our traditional job market process and financial system as a vehicle for so many of us and our unique gifts.  As we try to pour ourselves into the mold that someone else needs, we can lose ourselves.  And, heck, that’s the point of books like these, to urge us to focus on who we are, not what people want from us.  It’s not for nothing that the word “employer” (in French) is “to use”, and employee means, “to be used.”  I begin to understand why I’ve just been unable to fit in.  Indeed, maybe I’m even strangely proud of it!

This morning, I’m praying for the courage to get this huge collage scanned, then put a copy of it under my name on a piece of paper. I’m praying for the courage to call this my resume, the courage to create a web page with this image as its focus.  Maybe there are people who have been looking, literally, for what I have to offer, looking for a unique vision and a colorful life journey.  That’s a resume I’d be proud to hand out, and which might successfully magnetize the kinds of opportunities I’d love!