Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Paris

It's hard to know what to say about this weekend, or the myriad other tragic recent events that have left so many of us shattered, fearful, and even angry, that hasn't already been said in the traditional media, social media, and elsewhere.

The only thing I can add, I guess, is this.  I have come to believe that there is only one "force" or "energy" in the Universe, and that is love.  Everything else is varying degrees of separation from love.  The enormity of that love is, itself, scary.  Most of us spend a lifetime pushing away from it.  Only a year ago or so I realized I had to make a choice -- to continue to allow an empty chasm at the core of my being, or to risk opening up the tap and allowing this powerful life force to fill the void.  Emptiness was terrifying, and love was terrifying, but there could be no middle ground.  So I opened the tap, slowly, so as not to swamp myself.  Love has begun to trickle in, drip, drip, drip.  At aged nearly 60.  Damn.

These world events are a reminder to go within, to find one thing, anything, to love.  And if we can't love this hard week, then liking is good.  Not social media "liking" but as deeply as we can bear, something in ourselves, our world, the wider world, in the stars.  In the end, we can't control anyone else's pipeline to love, only our own.  With everything that is happening, that's actually a relief.