Sunday, September 4, 2016

Best Laid Plans

Well, the concept for Friday had been, work the last day of my temp job, pick up the first of two paychecks (yay!), and then over the weekend hear an Oxbridge choir several times in person. I had been, in effect, living for that as I stood at the cash register. But at 3 AM, I woke up with what I soon realized was a miserable cold, not hay fever, and I was so noxious I had no choice but to call in sick. Over two days I have gone through two boxes of "facial tissues," and the money isn't yet in my bank. It's too funny. Hopefully a grateful public got to hear the choir, but just not the one person in the area seriously ga-ga over English church music.

Obviously, a normal person just goes to bed or zones out in front of TV in this situation, only to recover a number of days later and get back to life. In a bizarre way, this is the Universe giving me time to do "my real work," and that is deep thinking. My head is too fuzzy to articulate much of it still, but new thoughts about paid work, money, health, etc. have come from this unexpected hiatus. I'll spare you on this peaceful fall-like Sunday morning, with the sun dipping lower in the sky through changing leaves.

The good news is, after two days off my feet, I can walk again without agonizing pain. And I live in the 21st century when boxes of facial tissues are, rightly or wrongly, inexpensive and easy to come by. A sense of humor and a consistent focus on "the good news" -- Liz Path necessities, indeed.