Wednesday, September 28, 2016

There is No Debate


In my last post, I said I would not watch the presidential debate Monday night, and essentially, I did not. Interestingly enough, some friends and I decided early in the evening to watch the pilot of “Commander in Chief,” the now ten-year-old television series about the first woman President of the United States. In the first scenes, Mackenzie Allen, played by Geena Davis, is Vice President; when the President has a stroke, his last words to her express the wish that she step down so that the difficult, conservative Speaker of the House (played to a tee by Donald Sutherland) can become President. She is on the fence about following the President’s wishes, but when the Speaker utters horrifyingly misogynist comments, she tosses aside the draft of her letter of resignation. The episode ends with the audience in no doubt that Davis’s character will be a strong and decisive President. After watching it, I petted my friends’ cat, got ready for bed, wrote in my journal, said a brief gratitude prayer to the Universe, and was asleep before ten.

OK, so I’ve missed one rather important detail. For literally about one minute, I watched the split-screen debate on “mute.” Hillary Clinton was speaking, clearly responding to the moderator’s question; I watched in horror as the other candidate repeatedly tried to interrupt her.

This little vignette felt like a metaphor for my life, and I suspect the lives of many brilliant women. We’ve been interrupted by men (and often other women.) Ignored. Corrected. Condescended to. Teased. I’ve actually reached that moment in life where I know I am on the right track when a man’s reaction to me is most intense. I was proud of Clinton’s apparent ability to continue on, undaunted.

Both women candidates for President, Hillary Clinton (Wellesley) and Jill Stein, are super-intelligent graduates of Seven Sisters colleges (Stein’s bachelor’s degree is from Harvard, but in 1973, when she graduated, Radcliffe still had a partially independent identity.) This would mean that these two pioneers are the first Presidential candidates I’ve ever really related to on a deep level. Barring extraordinary events, there is no debate. This Smith graduate will vote for one of them.