Tuesday, September 6, 2016

The two month challenge

This weekend seemed a bit like the calm before the storm, didn't it? OK, for me, doubly so because I was too sick until Monday to even get out of bed. Yesterday I watered my friend's garden and hung out some laundry, then pretty much collapsed again.

But the day after Labor Day always has that hectic "back to school" feel, and this year it marks exactly two months to an election that promises to be the most rancorous in my lifetime.

I've undergone such a sea change in the last few years that I'm seeing political races (and most other things) through entirely new eyes. It all made at least some theoretical sense when I accepted the traditional "good vs. evil" world view. Now that I believe that there is only one active force in the world, an ever-growing stream of Love, things are both more hopeful and more nuanced. Some people's pipelines to Divine Love are fully open, our saints and evolved ones. The vast majority of us have some percentage of it blocked, but overall we are loving people, filled with and expressing some large or small measure of Divine Love. And then there are some people who, in this lifetime anyway, seem to have a completely blocked channel to Divine Love.  

I'm finding I don't want to "fight" people who have even the smallest iota of Divine Love in them, or to give any attention to those who do not. As much as I care about the world's future, I don't feel called to be part of the current tumult in any capacity. So what am I to do? What are we to do? In the two months leading up to this election, what if many of us were simply to commit to loving, as best we can, as much as we can? What if that surplus of energy went to loving our pets, the people we love, the autumn leaves, our favorite music, our favorite authors? What if we committed to using our best skills every day, to cooking for friends, to celebrating the best of humanity? What if we took regular vacations from media, and went outside to gaze with wonder at Northern Lights or sunsets or shooting stars or the changing autumn light? What if we focused on the beauty of great art and poetry? What if we were to fall in love with something or someone new this fall? And what if we fall in love with our own selves for the first time? Then perhaps when we calmly walk into the polling booth on November 8, the choices will be clearer: the candidates, parties or ballot initiatives with the best chance of joining us in spreading genuine love in the world.