Wednesday, February 23, 2022

What She Is and Isn't

One thing She is, is powerful. Our two-day snowstorm didn't match, in inches, the Thanksgiving storm a few years ago, or the Halloween one in 1991, but gale force winds blew the snow into impossibly high drifts. And since there was a good two feet on the ground to begin with (it's been so cold that earlier snow hasn't melted), and since windchills continue to range from -20 to -40 F, I haven't even tried to get crucial errands done. Just hunkering down, and grateful for some snow-blowing and shoveling help!

So it seems to be a rather odd time for a new phase in this writing. I have virtually no readers right now! Since the 1990's, I've plowed ahead in life hoping that my experiences would eventually inform or inspire at least a few people, and it is hard not knowing if that has happened. I question myself. Have I been too serious? Too preachy? Is my combination of passions (English church music and feminine spirituality) impossible to relate to? Probably an enthusiastic "yes" to all of the above! And for a world battered by challenges, perhaps no one wants to read that there are even more changes afoot. The temptation to stop writing is strong. But if this winter has done nothing else, it has helped me to accept myself unconditionally. I am the way I always have been in this lifetime, and it is for a reason. Even if I find that not one person ever reads this blog going forward, I'll continue, because up until now, I've left too much unsung and unsaid.

A caveat: my impressions of the Goddess and a more Goddess-centered world are just that, my impressions, my vision. The artist in me will draw a picture, the musician in me, to sing a song, and create an energetic tonal match. My attempts will be frail and human, but always my best. 

And more than I am comfortable with, it is inevitable that I will often have to compare Her to Him, the male God figure in the sky. I will have to compare a Goddess-centered world with what we see before our eyes. We are leaving the duality construct, so operating within that construct to make comparisons is profoundly frustrating for me, but it may be the only way to start the painting. Kind of an undercoat, I hope, from which to start a more harmonious picture!

So for today, I'll just say that for me, it is not a case where you replace a transcendent masculine figure with a transcendent female one. You don't arm women with weapons and dress them in terrifying black leather combat gear. You don't superimpose Her on our conflict-driven construct and fight for Her. Indeed, for me, "She" isn't a being so much as an energy. Most of us women have something of Her in us; we are different facets of Her. I don't expect a female "savior" any more than I expect a male one. And She is not here to replace a male concept of the divine, just to return to visibility along with Him. She balances Him, and vice versa. She is complex, indescribable. Depicting "what She is and isn't" is thus a nearly impossible task, but when has that ever stopped me?!