Saturday, March 11, 2023

Goddess Words 18: Being

"Being" is another one of my Goddess words that exists as both a noun and a verb. Somehow that seems appropriate, especially with this word. It is all-encompassing. Everything that lives is a "being" (noun). At this moment, verb-wise, I am "being human" (or, yesterday, perhaps I was "being" lazy when I decided to take the bus...) It seems that sometimes writers and thinkers contrast being and doing, being "being" more passive, and doing "being" active. At some point in my journey, I heard a speaker talk about the human condition being like those crooning '50's songs ("Do-be-do-be-do"). Certainly a balance of being and doing is inevitable in human existence. Our culture could be said to overemphasize and overvalue "doing"; I won't follow suit here (I have spoken of this a lot recently), just offer a few Saturday morning musings on simply being.

If you can just simply "be" with your channel open to the divine, it is actually a rather active experience, internally. I feel divine energy surging through me more than I ever have. And while that leaves me feeling calm, even in the face of everything that is happening in the world, and not needing to react or respond in kind, staying in a state of "being" feels like its own rich place. It's tingly, alert. I'm trying to think of a good metaphor. Instead of running around, trying to put out all the fires set in the name of hatred, you just stand still with your own lantern lit brightly. It's about glowing, not trying to force preconceived fixes on the world's problems. Just shedding enough light that hopefully others will see situations, themselves, differently. 

Those of us who have spent any part of their lives being creative artists may feel more comfortable than others with the rich state of "not doing"...we know that solitary study, practicing, painting, writing, reading and thinking are what creates our "doing". Most of us have rarely been paid for these long, preliminary hours -- it's interesting that in the modern world's high tech sector, people often are paid for this development time. I guess it boils down to what the culture-at-large has decided is crucial to humanity's future, and thus worthy of support. I see it the other way around, as ever...that if any human societies survive the coming environmental/energetic/spiritual changes, it will be because of those of us nurturing our being-ness right now, and doing less

I guess my song is "Be-be-be-be-do-be-be-be-be-do..." Especially right now. Stillness is needed to get used to the relative openness of an inner spiritual channel. Stillness is needed to hear the song of the earth, the motets of the Universe. Quietly, I am getting used to what Goddess "clothes" feel like, and learning to discern out of the silence when I am genuinely called to "do".